Windshield Rubber (Gasket)

John

We've got 2, '85 Turbo's (N9T) in need of front glass. From the Western Hemispheres site the rubber gasket for the North American cars is no longer available. Has anyone had success installing the European version of the part and what problems might one expect when doing this?

Regards,

John

Hi John,

The gasket is actually just cosmetic - the windshield should be glued in, and then the rubber part you see fits in afterwards.

Trick is that you need to remove the plastic strip in the gasket in order to remove the gasket - and that trim breaks if you even look at it wrong.

My plan for mine is to have the glass installer mount the glass flush and use a generic moulding to fill in the gap. I've had two places take a look - and both figured it wouldn't be a problem, but they can't say until they try it.

Hard part is finding the actual windshield!

Rabin

don't know about the euro gasket.

however -- if you can find a replacement windshield locally (or elsewhere), i'm pretty sure it can be installed using a universal kit, the 3-piece OE one is not necessary. i remember reading a post from a few years back on peugeot-l by brian holm that confirmed this; he also suggested that the installers use urethane to bond & seal the glass, not the soft black gooey stuff (believe it's called windshield mastic, or something like that?)...

hope this helps...

andré

Thanks everyone,

I know that the windshield is bonded in and had considered investigating a generic trim option but I figured OEM would be the simplest if it would work. Reminding me that the filler piece will most likely not survive the transplant is good though. Western Hemispheres lists stock on the windshields. Maybe the wrong tint but nothing I can do about that - these two screens are well broken.

Thx,

John

"parts geek" warning! :)

the 505 windshield that i can see that WH is showing as being in stock is part number 6115.78, which is described as "windshield laminated, bronze tinted" and is for all 505s up to serial number 338555; my 86 has a 403xxx serial number, so i'm guessing that 338555 is somewhere around 84 or 85. from 338556 up through model year 87, the parts list specifies windshield 8116.14, which is described as "windshield, laminated, with base of sticked rear view mirror: degraded, bronze tinted." not sure what "degraded" means, maybe it refers to a progressive tint with the degree of tinting varying from top to bottom? this is presumably the windshield that i have, but my windshield seems to have a consistent bronze tint throughout (but then again, don't know if my windshield is oe).

as we've discussed elsewhere, the 88's on have green tinted glass (including the windshield). part number for the windshields for those cars is 8116.21. like the 8116.14, pretty much NLA.

since your cars are 85s, with bronze-tinted glass, the WH windshields should be okay tint-wise, yes?

but -- shipping windshields is an iffy business. you would do well do look around locally, to see if any of the auto glass shops near you have a dusty box in the back containing a 505 windshield that would be appropriate for your car... :)

andré

To add to Andre's post - I recommend calling all the glass shops in your area to see if they have anything.

I lucked out and found one in a glass shop in stock locally! It'd never show up on an inventory list anywhere but the shop's computer. He advised it was likely thrown in on a bulk buy sometime as he's had it for a long time.

I even lucked out with it being a green tint window for my 89'

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

I found a new windshield today at a local shop, ten blocks away from my house. They looked it up by year and model and the 'bronze tint' is the one that came up, $100. Needles to say I bought it.

I also found a new set of windshield/rear-window gaskets in Argentina last time I was there, for their 1992-1995 Peugeot 505. It's flat rubber (not designed to take the chrome insert ) which is just fine by me 'cause I've always hated it, I'm going for a 'blacked out' scheme. I even found black (not chrome) door handles, OEM. :P

The 505 windshield seems to be readily available here in the states, check with your local shops before trying importers.

Here are photos of the windshield. There really is no 'tint', at least not visible to the naked eye.

post-351-0-43069800-1318698314_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-01752800-1318698336_thumb.jpg