paint job ideas

ohms

seeing as how easily (well, relatively speaking) my cousin is able to paint cars in his garage behind his apt, ive been thinking more and more of doing a 50/50 paint job on the pug. having a blue interior limits my choices, and i dont want silver, white, or black, would rather have an "interesting" color (though from pugs ive seen, silver and black can look really good) - so i've been thinking about shades of blue or even a light silver green, like a 505 brochure cover i found:

http://i23.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/b5/10/66b9_2.JPG

the blues ive had in mind, are either a deep shade, like this:

http://www.houseofthud.com/car-av/R32darkblue.jpg

or this very "pop" looking blue, i saw once in person on a saab aero vert (which was also available in a vibrant green like the one on the 505 brochure above):

http://images.dealerrevs.com/pictures/50121318.jpg

i think ultimately, i'd like my 505 to somewhat resemble the stripped down model on that brochure cover...

not pug related - but we're painting my camaro a color that i have yet to see on any old musclecar, either in person, in a magazine, or online....its gonna be pretty slick.

There's always the European two tone that looks very good on these cars. Not sure if you can pull it off with the USDM bumpers, but the early turbo cars in Europe with the dark blue and silver looks vary good in my opinion.

Also gets around having to do the jams, trunk and hood areas if you just change the lower colour.

Rabin

ah, thats something i forgot about when i wrote my post, but had thought of before - painting the 505's bay would be more labor than anything else, with all the equipment under the hood. would def do the jambs and under the hood/trunk as well, but the engine bay/tops of the inner wheel wells...ugh. i think i'd be willing to "punk out" on that whole part of the paint job.

that vw dark blue (ive seen 4runners in a similar shade too) would be great with a sandstone/white-tan interior i think. and i'd keep my chrome accents on the car as well, i think they'd go well with the dark blue...

The issue with a color change is that to do it right you have to jam it and do the engine compartment. That means the engine comes out. Rarely do those come off well on a budget. All those colors look good, but if I were to pick one, it'd be the dark blue on the VW.

pics of this two tone jobby?

my pugs paint is pretty solid, but (unfortunately) its my roof that has patches that have faded/rusted (now sanded and primed)

There's always the European two tone that looks very good on these cars. Not sure if you can pull it off with the USDM bumpers, but the early turbo cars in Europe with the dark blue and silver looks vary good in my opinion.

Also gets around having to do the jams, trunk and hood areas if you just change the lower colour.

Rabin

that 2-tone paint job was available on the euro turbo injection model (sometimes referred to as the TI). the bottom color in both instances is winchester gray (1752), the top color was either metal gray (1399) or bleu glacier (1477, same as my car).

one of my favorite blues is bmw's atlantis blue (sometimes called atlantic blue). if we're talking peugeot colors, though, what i'd really like to see is someone with the cojones to paint their car taxi yellow (1352)...like in your avatar, omar... :D

andre

I've got a windchester grey 85' 505 turbo with the typical horizontal clear coat damage - so it's tempting to do the bleu glacier on top as it has dark bleu leather interior as well.

Another option would be to take a cue from Foose and just do the very top surfaces like this guy that used to frequent the forum: Yq397r Wonder if he's still around...

Rabin

o snap. i like that blue a lot.

i actually have a taxi roof light heh...and nyc taxis have always had blue interiors too, actually...

that 2-tone paint job was available on the euro turbo injection model (sometimes referred to as the TI). the bottom color in both instances is winchester gray (1752), the top color was either metal gray (1399) or bleu glacier (1477, same as my car).

one of my favorite blues is bmw's atlantis blue (sometimes called atlantic blue). if we're talking peugeot colors, though, what i'd really like to see is someone with the cojones to paint their car taxi yellow (1352)...like in your avatar, omar... :D

andre

I've got a windchester grey 85' 505 turbo with the typical horizontal clear coat damage - so it's tempting to do the bleu glacier on top as it has dark bleu leather interior as well.

i think that the gray/gray combination must have been much more popular than the gray/glacier combination. i've seen a few owner photos online of gray/gray cars, but the only pictures i've ever seen of gray/glacier cars are peugeot brochure press/pictures. in either case, i don't think either combination was ever offered in north america, so painting your car two-toned would certainly make it special.

andre

i think that the gray/gray combination must have been much more popular than the gray/glacier combination. i've seen a few owner photos online of gray/gray cars, but the only pictures i've ever seen of gray/glacier cars are peugeot brochure press/pictures.

You're right, most Turbo are gray/gray, but I have had a gray/glacier one. Personnally I think it looks better than gray/gray, but rare to find, even in Europe. I would always go for colours that were available original.

See

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

just more thoughts on colors...

-audi nimbus grey with a clay-red color leather interior

-infiniti maui blue (only available on a few 2002 infiniti g20's) with tan leather interior

-porsche guards red, tan leather, and 5 spoke fuchs porsche wheels on adapters