Window trim repair

bryancohnracing

Ok gang, how do I make my previously blacked out trim black again? Its the chrome piece that holds the outer window seal at the top of the door (elbow height).

Mine looks like it was either painted black or anodized, most likely paint.

My car is a color change car, from silver to black. No idea of the history or when it was done. Door jams are still silver as is the engine bay, underside of hood and trunk lid. Even the door are not completely black as the latch area etc is still silver.

The trim look to be in fine shape other than its fading/chipping black color.

Bryan

here's a link to christophe leverdier's excellent site, where he documents the stuff he's done to his 505. it's in french, use your favorite translation site if necessary, but the pics are pretty self-explanatory (strip, repaint).

i believe this is the piece you are talking about, n'est-ce pas? :)

fun french expression of the day: bombe de peinture = spray paint

if you click on "retour au sommaire" ("back to top") at the bottom of the page, you can see all of his writeups.

andré

There's also a spray bomb called "trim paint" in a nice satin black that's made for stainless and other metal trim bits. I've used it on other cars trim and it's a nice match that's not too shiny. I'm sure your local autoparts store should have something similar.

Christophe's site is awesome. The paint he used kinda looks a bit to shiny - or it could just be the pics and fresh paint. The trim paint I've used VERY close to the stock look which is much flatter looking. Strip and prep info was awesome though.

Rabin