Race seat install finished!

bryancohnracing

See the photos of the drivers side seat installed. I will remove it, Locktite the fasteners that hold the seat to the crossbars then install for the final time. Its mounted to the original seat track (thanks Andre!) so it adjusts fore and aft, plus the stock seat belt receptacle is in place so I can use the factory seat belt or 5 point harness (when I finally install a set).

Amazingly the crossbar lined up perfectly with the threaded bungs in the seat, so there must be some standard for seating that we do not know about. This made the install way easier as I expected to have to build brackets off the seat to meet/reach the crossbars. All oem fasteners were used except for those holding the crossbars to the seat tracks and the seat to the crossbars. I used AN 5/16 bolts and k-nuts on the crossbar to seat track joint and 8.8 metric for the seat to crossbar. No idea of the pitch as I used the bolts that came with the seat.

Best part: Total invest: $0. Honest! A good friend whom I coach in racing gave me the seat, I had the aluminum crossbar material and the hardware on hand, left over from long ago projects. The passenger side race seat is next and its total cost should be close to zip as well, other than I am 22 inches short of the needed aluminum crossbar. Took me about 6 hours total time from start to finish on one seat. 2nd should go much faster.

I plan to cover the rear seating area in matching carpet once the insulation is removed, then install a 3rd race seat. Gotta be able to take my wife and daughter for rides after all! B)

Bryan

post-279-0-55743500-1310829332_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-00375600-1310829338_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-30095700-1310829346_thumb.jpg

looks cool! as bryan alludes to, he and i swapped some parts. i sent him my seat tracks (new seats came with tracks so i had two sets) and he sent me some heavier-duty sway bars for my car.

i'm just excited to get a shout-out in a racing-related post..... :D

andré

Sure is great to see sharing amongst us!

This site is here because were all enthusiastic about ours and everyone Else's Peugeot!

Looks great!

Does the seat mount still include the tilt adjustments? Or did you just make use of the fore aft rails?

I notice there's lots of room on the driver side for the cage too... :)

Rabin

the seat tracks i sent bryan were the original ones from my GL -- they did not include the tilt adjustment. we GL owners lead a simple, spartan existence; not like you fancy turbo guys. :) when we discussed it, bryan mentioned that the tilt feature wasn't important to him...now that i see the race seats, i understand why. with those high thigh bolsters, it seems like it would be difficult to reach the tilt adjustment lever down there on the side of the track.

so bryan's race car won't have tilting seats, looks like it will still be pretty cushy with power windows, etc. anxious to see what it's going to look like when the cupholders go in... :)

andré

edit: hey bryan, i was looking at your pictures again -- the hazy effect makes it look even hotter there! (for those of you who don't know, the middle part of the US where bryan lives is currently undergoing an oppressive heat wave). what's up with your steering wheel? my first thought was, it looks kind of 405-ish...but then i noticed the aftermarket adapter on the column...details, please! :)

My original seats had tilt adjustment. Those and the seats front and rear went to Eduardo in Columbia for his 505 restoration. You guys should see the photos, his car is an amazing piece. Lots of photos on the Peugeot 505 Facebook page, check it out!

As noted the race seats have plenty of thigh support. What this one needs is more padding under my butt! I may remove the cover and lay a piece of 1 inch think Backsaver foam padding (that is the racing name for it, similar to what is used in the Space Shuttle seating). Its like Memory foam or way more heavy duty and fire proof.

As for the steering wheel, its a Momo with a standard Momo adapter. The center cover is like nothing I've ever seen before on any Momo wheel. It came with the car; I had a second one I bought some time ago, slightly different spoke style and no center cover that I sold to a gent in Connecticut several months back. I'm sure you can buy the wheel from any Momo dealer, the hub may be more difficult. Personally I preferred my Dino wheel that was in both of my BMW's. It was slightly bigger in OD and seemed to be of higher quality leather. That Dino was first in my 1979 Datsun 210 back in 1984 (bought it new then) and in a successsion of cars over the next 18 years, including, are you ready: Nissan Sentra, Chevy Citation (making it the coolest Citation on the planet), Datsun 210 race car, BMW 733i and finally my 325e. When I sold the 325 to a goof friend for him to build into a race car I included the wheel. That car is now for sale again, I ought to try and buy the wheel back! :D

What this one needs is more padding under my butt! I may remove the cover and lay a piece of 1 inch think Backsaver foam padding (that is the racing name for it, similar to what is used in the Space Shuttle seating). Its like Memory foam or way more heavy duty and fire proof.

so if you put Backsaver foam on the bottom of the seat, that makes it...something else, right? :D

andré

Yes it does!

Second seat install is on hold while we start packing in order to move next month. Bought a house! Yeah! We've moved 5 times in the last 7 years and enough is enough. Our daughter starts school in the fall and its time she had a permanent home.