Shift linkage upgrade

I found, one my old 87 parts car that the rubber shift linkage bushing was worn out, allowing the shifter to feel sloppy.

The 86 Turbo track car had a similar feel to the shifter, so I tore into removing the carpet, center console, etc. Part of the plan was to remove the heavy insulation under the carpet plus reroute the cables for the trunk mounted battery. I'll also be mounting OMP race seats next week.

But back to the shifter. I used the stock bracket, and found a heim joint I had on hand had the correct ID to fit the shift linkage. It took drilling a hole in the bracket and some adjustment to get the rod end as low as possible. The result is a more solid feel to the shifter, no slop and no rubber bush to wear out ever again.

See the photos for details. If someone wanted to replicate this I could do it for about $75 or tell them how for free! Not really trying to sell this to anyone, but its a cheap fix that really improved shifter feel. The work to remove and refit the interior was a fair bit of work though!

post-279-0-53150500-1310067713_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-23562600-1310067723_thumb.jpg

Cool. I've never even thought of redoing that rubber bushing at the end like that.

The bushings that I've always found crapped out are in the shifter handle pivot that you see in the pics. You pull that through bolt and the handle comes out. That pivot usually always has slop in it, with the bushing inside hammered out. The other areas are the shift rods themselves - but there's not really that much play in them even if they're worn.

For my redo I had planned on using heim joints for all the rods, but never had a plan for that end bushing. Makes total sense though... :)

Rabin

I was lucky, the bushing you speak of was in great shape, no slop, no wiggle. Surprised is not the word for it!

Mine has some slop in the actual linkage that goes into the box. No fixing that from the outside. It shifts fine so I've no plan to reinvent the wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

That's neat. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Regarding the bushing, mine was totally absent when I bought the car. Getting into the correct gear was a genuine challenge! I found that a 3/8 sweat-type copper pipe coupler was nearly the right fit. Even though it doesn't have the damping capability of rubber, it seems fine to me. I later found an exact-fit sintered bronze bearing at McMaster-Carr for about $1. I bought one to keep on hand for when I decide to rebuild the linkage better.

• 4 months later...

I've been down the shift linkage road before. I've had them fall apart on me on the road and I'd be stuck in whatever gear I was in. I've heim jointed the whole thing when I did the auto to manual swap I changed the shift points to create a short throw shifter. Works great and no more problems.

• 2 years later...

Tonight on my way home from work. My 505S Diesel 5Spd would no longer go into 1st or second. In stop and go rush hour traffic. I was forced to slip the clutch, starting and stopping in 3rd gear!!

Made it all the way home. I suspect that it's the linkage. Just before this happened, I noticed the shifter felt, EXTRA sloppy. That is to say, it's always been sloppy since I had this 505.

I gotta go to work in the morning, and this is my only transport atm. what should i look for. I'm gearing up now to go out side with a work lamp and tear into it. Hope somebody sees this post and can offer some advice.

-Pepe

You'll see it as soon as you get under the car. Should be a small vertical rod ~4" long.

Zip tie it back onto the ball, and that should last until you can get new shift rods - or remake them if you're handy and have some fabrication skills.

Rabin

ACES! back in business baby. Did Rabin's zip tie method, and drove straight to the hardware store. I used a small rubber bushing, some nylon washers and very fine thread m6 machine screw and nut to put it back together.

Shifts like new again. Your the pro Rabin! CHEERS!

You'll see it as soon as you get under the car. Should be a small vertical rod ~4" long.

Zip tie it back onto the ball, and that should last until you can get new shift rods - or remake them if you're handy and have some fabrication skills.

Rabin

Edited by Pepe Le-Puegeot

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is an old post but just in case someone see it.  Make sure you also replace the large 12" Main Rod.  A week after I raplaced the small on the large one fell of and when it fall off there is no gears.  Was able to push it to gas station and Jack it up to shift it once into second amd drive home.   

• 1 year later...

Hi guys - reviving an old thread.  My automatic just stopped shifting.  It was first stuck in forward gear, so couldn't start the car.  With a lot of jiggling I managed to get it into neutral or park (can't tell) so I can start the car, but cannot put it into gear.  Should I start by looking under the console, or under the car?

2 hours ago, Bean said:

Faster to get under the car if you're able to...  Should be a single lever/rod that is actuating the transmission. 

Rabin

Thanks. Car is stuck on the lawn, so I'll tow it to the driveway where I can safely jack it up.

• 1 month later...