andrethx

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

several months have gone by, so i guess it's time for another update! :) i've done a bit from time to time, but i haven't been posting anything about my car. so i'll update with what i did this morning (before it got too hot outside to work) and post more in the coming days.

in addition to the fuel system and the rear suspension projects, i also want to get the interior relatively in order so i can move the car around once it's mobile again. in order to get the seats back in, i need to get the carpeting finished and in order to do that, i need to complete the wiring that's going to go underneath it. here's a test-fit of the carpeting that's going into the driver's side foot well:

IMG_0004_zpsb8c99aa6.jpg

and here's a gratuitous shot of the dashboard where the instrument panel goes:

IMG_0005_zps6b495bc3.jpg

since the last time i posted about my car, i've decided not to use the becker radio i have and instead, use that for a future project. as i intend to daily drive my 505 once it's done (or closer to being done, you know what i mean), i have decided to go with a new blaupunkt unit -- probably the toronto. it's got all the latest features, including bluetooth since i'm constantly on the phone for my job. it also has rca outputs (unlike the older becker) so i can use pretty much any amplifier with it. i got a clarion unit - it's very small, has 4-channels and fits underneath the driver's seat. i had earlier planned to put the amp in the trunk, but i really never wanted it there as i want the full use of my trunk. i had already run some of the wiring for the becker unit so i spent part of the morning re-routing those wires and making a list of the new wiring that i'll need. here's a test fit of the amp under the driver's seat:

IMG_0006_zps5bf6c4ac.jpg

the dotted lines show where i plan to cut back the carpet so that it doesn't brush up against the amp.

the front speakers that i'll be using are component speakers (a/d/s) with a separate woofer, tweeter and crossover. i got them in great used condition at a good price. unfortunately, the component set i got for the front includes a pair of huge crossovers that look designed to be shown off. i decided to put them under the passenger's front seat; this will minimize wiring and keep the crossovers as close as possible to the speakers (considering there really isn't enough room behind the dashboard). here's a test-fit:

IMG_0008_zpsbcb6f846.jpg

moving back from the riser platform where the front of the seat frame attaches (the exposed part covered in dynamat), the floor slopes up such that i was concerned that the crossovers might interfere with the seat. so i put one of my many seats in to check for clearance. it was fine.

IMG_0009_zpscabba233.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsdf80c7f7.jpg

once shortcoming that i noticed with the new carpet set i got was that neither the piece that goes from the rest seats to the floor nor the rear floor piece had binding on them, so that no matter which one went on top, there would be an exposed carpet seam. so i took the rear floor piece to a nearby upholstery shop and had them bind the rear edge (to match the binding on other pieces from the set). it came out great, cost US$25:

IMG_0007_zps51b45c8d.jpg

more to come.

andré

Andre - I can wholeheartedly recommend the Toronto. It's in our Volvo 240. My dad and I installed it last year when he was daily driving the car.

Superb - it completely blows away my Key West which is probably 5 years old now. The Toronto's got everything. We usually drive the 240 up to Tahoe every weekend during the summer/winter and it serves us really well. Wireless (bluetooth) audio, phone, as well as multiple USB connections. You can both directly and wirelessly control the iPhone and other devices. Really makes me wanna rip the Key West (which has gotten glitchy lately) out of the E30 and buy another Toronto. You'll enjoy it! ....especially with all the audio work you've been doing to the car. :D

BTW - I've gotta actually see this car in person for once this time. Gonna be in the area in 3 weeks? I'll be moving back up North for the summer so I'll be passing through the area again.

Sina

• 2 months later...

i bought the blaupunkt toronto, it's still in the box; i did a bit of stereo component installation today (no wiring yet). i installed the amp under the driver's seat:

PhotoAug1850140PM_zps54e67068.jpg

and i installed one of the crossovers under the front passenger's seat; i ran out of screws so i'll get the other one in tomorrow. i made some brackets out of simpson galvanized ties -- the floor there is not level so the brackets create a nice perch for the crossover enclosure:

PhotoAug1845813PM_zps86967906.jpg

and here's the crossover unit installed, bolted to the brackets. each crossover uses two brackets:

PhotoAug1845822PM_zpsc1d38fc6.jpg

as i was working, i was making a list of everything else i'd need to finish this project. i want to get the wiring done for the stereo so i can finish putting the interior back in. i'm determined to show my car at the french & italian car show in early november!

the next big project is the rear suspension refresh; since the gas tank is still out, now is the time to do it. i did an inventory of the parts i have and i have everything i need for this...fortunately, the new rear shocks i got (allinquant from france) have all of the bushings needed included! this is a good thing because i don't know of a source for the lower bushing for the rear shocks (if anyone knows, please contact me or post the info here!).

i still need to get a few odds & ends for the fuel system.

andré

i installed the other crossover for the front speakers; as i mentioned earlier, the front speakers i got are 2-way component speakers from a/d/s, the 345is. the woofers are 5.25" and go into the kick panels, and the tweeters go at the top of the dash above the outboard a/c vents.

to install the left crossover, i had to put some spacers under one of the brackets since the floor was not level here:

PhotoAug1945750PM_zpsab676019.jpg

andré

ran lots of speaker wire this morning, from the amp to the crossovers for the front speakers and from the crossovers to the speakers in the dash. i ran out of wire so i didn't run the wiring from the right crossover to the right front tweeter, but i did all of the rest of them. so i need to get a bit more speaker wire, a 4-channel rca cable to run from the blaupunkt head unit to the amp, the power & ground wires for the amp, and the blue wire for the amp (i.e., the power antenna output from the head unit that the amp uses to turn itself on). no photos of the wiring, will take a couple of pics when it's done -- hopefully in a couple of days. :) then i can get the carpeting and seats back in.

i keep going back and forth on the antenna. my car came with a nonfunctional automatic antenna in the rear fender, i was going to replace it with a roof antenna but now i'm thinking that i will use the NOS replacement hirschmann automatic antenna that i got a while back. the automatic antenna is a nice luxury feature, and lord knows my car has few of those. :) since i already have the fender hole, bracket, etc., i might as well keep that part of my car original.

andré

Curious if what you have planned for low end bass response? Cant remember if you had a sub solution planned or not...

Looks awesome so far - curious how the carpet turns out as I'd love to redo my 89 in black when I refurb the interior and tackle its stereo install.

Rabin

not sure about my ultimate plans for a bass solution...whatever i do is going to be a "phase 2" type of thing because i don't have much time until early november and the french and italian car show here in LA.

my inclination is to have a subwoofer driver mounted on the rear deck with a sealed enclosure mounted on the underside of the rear deck...i'll probably run the extra wiring now since i can probably spare the hour or so that it will take to do this. if i mount the subwoofer in the middle of the rear deck, though, i won't be able to use the original 3rd brake light...this is why i was so interested in arun's high-mounted brake light idea. i could mount the subwoofer asymmetrically (i.e., off to one side) but that seems kind of odd...so bottom line, i'm still thinking about this one.

hope to get the carpet in over the next few days, hopefully by the end of the holiday weekend...

andré

I've wanted to see how much room there would be behind the seats just above where the trunk floor meets the seat backs.

I have a feeling there just might be enough room for a sub there, possibly with a narrow custom box between the seat and the tank.

I'm also thinking of a custom enclosure using the inside of the passenger rear quarter panel. It would appear like the regular side carpet panel, but have a fiberglass enclosure filling the void and optimzed for a 10" sub.

I don't need crazy bass, so I think a well powered single 10" sub should be fine.

Rabin

I'm also thinking of a custom enclosure using the inside of the passenger rear quarter panel. It would appear like the regular side carpet panel, but have a fiberglass enclosure filling the void and optimzed for a 10" sub.

would this be on your wagon? on the sedan, i'd think a subwoofer in that location would get in the way of the parts there (sunroof motor, power antenna)...

as for your idea about putting the sub behind the rear seats, that hadn't occurred to me but it seems like it would be annoying for rear seat passengers (unless they really liked bass :) )....as a complete aside, if the enclosure was right up against the fuel tank, would your bass response vary with the amount of fuel in the tank? :)

andré

ps -- savo -- do you mean my system, or rabin's? or both?

Passenger side would have the antenna if it wasnt getting a roof mount, but even if you left it in place there would still be more than enough room as I believe they only need about 1 cubic foot of volume - Smaller if you do a ported box.

Antenna is on the driver side, so no worries there.

Rabin

• 2 months later...

i had a bit of time today to work on my car so i spent my time under the hood. i finally got around to priming my battery tray...it's the only area on my car that has any rust (i'm guessing a PO had a cheap leaky battery in there at some point). in a previous post, i described how i stripped off the rust; i had to touch that up today but it didn't take long. i masked off the tray and made a couple of sets of passes with a dark grey primer.

i used a combination of newspapers and brown paper bags to mask off the tray, putting the newspaper underneath and creating a "tunnel" with pieces from the bag. blue painter's tape held everything in place:

PhotoNov0925629PM_zps5d6ce532.jpg

this is the tray after the first pass:

PhotoNov0940551PM_zps6600e468.jpg

and here it is after the second pass with the bags removed:

PhotoNov0941318PM_zpsc36c924c.jpg

i had a bit of overspray but i wiped it off immediately with a bit of goof off (the "pro" formulation, which is basically the old "paint off" formula). i'm going to let it dry overnight and tomorrow i'll rough it up with a scotch pad, wipe it down with IPA, re-mask it and paint it. i'm using a black satin epoxy paint for that.

while i was waiting for the paint to dry, i did a bit of cleaning under the hood.

andré

finished painting the battery tray today, now it's the only part under the hood that's not filthy. :)

PhotoNov1022617PM_zps9f0aba75.jpg

i made a to-do list to get organized, the next items on the list are finishing the fuel tank and running new fuel lines from the injectors to the fuel distributor. first thing i'll probably do, though, is cleaning the air filter. i have the upper bellows removed right now so that should make it less difficult...

andré

• 1 month later...

today i underwent a peugeot owner rite of passage -- i cleaned out my oil-bath air filter. :) since my fuel lines are still out, it was less difficult to remove the air filter cover (which is also the mounting plate for the fuel distributor and the meter assembly).

when i got inside the filter assembly, i noticed that the oil level was very high -- the oil level was even with the air inlet hole on the front of the box (where the air intake hose attaches):

PhotoDec2123209PM_zpsf640a8c0.jpg

using old rags, i started to remove the oil and discovered that there was about an inch of water underneath the oil. of course the nasty oil/water milkshake was there as well...

PhotoDec2131027PM_zpsbaaccce3.jpg

using more old rags, i cleaned out all of the oil and water and wiped everything down. i removed the bottom tray (two 7mm bolts hold it in) and cleaned it and cleaned underneath it.

PhotoDec2133905PM_zpsc3f945e1.jpg

i will be soaking the filter in kerosene overnight, and cleaning the top of the filter box along with the outside of the fuel distributor and the meter assembly. various bolts and washers were missing as well, so i'll be replacing those as soon as i can source them. i assume that's from servicings over the years...

PhotoDec2123233PM_zpsae9c5cfc.jpg

PhotoDec2123238PM_zpsd09267d8.jpg

andré

• 2 months later...

it's the end of an era. :)

i've had an opportunity to get another peugeot; sadly, though, this meant getting rid of the 505 GL as i only have room for one peugeot right now. after a bit of searching, i found someone to take it; he's a member of this forum, but i'll let him identify himself (if he wants to).

today the tow truck came to take my car away to its new owner....

Photo%20Mar%2010%2011%2057%2050%20AM_zps

picture of the tow truck for my diesel-fan homies....

Photo%20Mar%2010%2011%2058%2019%20AM_zps

i'll post info on the new car when i get it...

andré

• 5 months later...

I will see if I can get them, they are packed under the seat pretty snug. My buddy installed them and designed them. Had to remove both seats to mount them. I will ask him if he has dimensions. Im also running focal component speakers in front (6.5 inch woofer in kick panels, and tweeter in dash) and three way 6x9 focal coaxials in rear deck shelf behind back seat some speaker mods were also made happy with the bass and clarity of system. I didn't want to sacrifice any trunk space. I really live the idea you're planning for your syst

Andre. when u get the car done I want to see it in person and a ride as well wink.gif

Pushgo, I'd really like to see this setup, I'm considering one almost exactly the same and need some reference, do you have any pics of the install? Specifically the 6.5" Focal components up front and the rear deck setup? Are you here in L.A.?

Hey Randy - Pretty sure Phil's car was sold a while back - and I think it waa either to Ukit or one of his customers...

Not sure if the stereo went with the car, or if it stayed. He might respond to PM, or ask Ukit about Philip Gago's V6 505...

Marc ended up with Phil's 505 Turbo - so it could have been that car, but no clue if stereo went with car.

Rabin