N9TE idle flare up

Guest the505inme

Guest the505inme

Alright, Iv'e had enough of this.....after parking for 5-10 mins, engine normal op temp, the idle shoots up to 2000 on restart, and stays there for about 15-30 seconds. It has the 4 spd auto trans.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm assuming there's a lazy sensor somewhere.....

aaaaaahahahahah you can ask trevor about this one, he's been cursed with it for quite a while now, not sure if he got it yet though.

* how is the condition of the air aux. valve? if you pinch the hose that runs from it to the throttle elbow does the idle drop (when its running at 2k rpm)?

* try disconnecting the microswitch when its idling high too, does the idle raise, or stay the same.

These may not help, but they definitley wouldn't hurt:

* AFM mixture set to 7.2v +/- .2v after 3 fan cycles?

* TPS set correctly?

* initial throttle flap position set properly?

* throttle cable too tight, or sticking slightly?

* NTC sensor functioning properly?

Guest the505inme

Pinching the aux air hose does nothing, throttle cable is OK.

Micro switch, eh? I'll try that next....that whole area causes me concern. When I had the head off this summer , I noticed that the micro switch was not clicking. So without knowing anything about the TPS, I undid it thinking it was how to reposition the hammer to better hit the arm, oh how wrong I was. I realized I did something bad right away, and put the TPS back were it was,

but what if it's off by a hair?

Then I bent the micro switch arm ( like I should have done in the first place) and it clicked fine after that.

Then again, it did the idle flare up thing B4 I touched it, but it does seem to fast idle a bit worse now.

Circumstantial? I hope so...

the TPS adjustment is VERY critical, and *VERY* sensitive. if its off by a fraction of a hair it'll be out of whack. its a long process to get it adjusted right, but when its right, its goooood..

a TPS being out of adjustment shouldn't cause the idle problems your seeing though (i dont think). the worse a TPS out of adjustment will do is throw a code, and / or have poor engine performance.

Guest the505inme

the TPS adjustment is VERY critical, and *VERY* sensitive. if its off by a fraction of a hair it'll be out of whack. its a long process to get it adjusted right, but when its right, its goooood..

a TPS being out of adjustment shouldn't cause the idle problems your seeing though (i dont think). the worse a TPS out of adjustment will do is throw a code, and / or have poor engine performance.

Arrrggg. It's the answer I didn't want, but the one I expected. It has been running very well though, very quick. If it can be made to run better, sign me up!

I had some erratic engine performance, but I traced it to a loose plug wire. It's hard to say if that was the problem, since it was not running poorly all the time.....

I looked up adjusting the TPS in the manual, what the heck is that box with the plug holes? Can I use a voltmeter?

Has anyone done this procedure latley?

If you haven't done all the TB checks, i'd suggest setting a chunk of time and just going through them all.. I'll bet you anything you'll notice a difference.

* adjust throttle cable

* adjust initial throttle flap position

* adjust idle with air bypass screw

* adjust microswitch

* adjust tps

the box shown in the manual is just an 'easier' way of doing it. i made a harness with a spare TPS plug which does the same thing (basically).. i'll dig up some notes when i get home on how to do it with a basic voltmeter.

i think it'd be great to get some technical articles up on this site on how to do basic adjustments such as this. hopefully we can get something up at some point in the future.

Joe Grubbs wrote me a great TPS adjustment HOWTO a few years ago which lived happily in my factory manual, but it seems to have vanished. I'm working off memory here so don't sue me :D

This procedure is done with the engine off.

- measure battery voltage and call it UB.

- multiply UB by 0.166 (so if UB = 12.23v; 12.23 * 0.166 = 2.03018). We'll call that number X (2.03018). remember this number

(you'll need a few aligator clip equipped jumper wires.)

'before' the TPS connector, there's a blue, red, and white wire:

- tap into the BLUE wire and connect it to the NEGATIVE battery terminal.

- tap into the RED wire and connect it to the POSITIVE battery terminal.

- clamp the NEGITIVE lead of your DVOM to the negative lead of the battery terminal.

- clamp the POSITIVE lead of your DVOM to the WHITE wire (this being the wiper)

measure the voltage, and compare it to X. then loosen the two 8mm hex bolts and adjust accordingly. as you will tell, movement of the TPS is very sensitive. do the best you can to get as close as possible.

if the voltage your shooting for is 2.03, i'd try to stay somewhere between 2.01 & 2.05. once adjusted, i generally tighten, move the throttle a few times, and re-check. do this until its right.

*ALSO*, make sure the microswitch adjustment isn't too tight and cracking open the throttle.. i think its actually suggested to adjust the microswitch before the TPS, so maybe i'll do that one next.

let us know how it goes.

MICROSWITCH adjustment

- disconnect the brown plug which connects to the microswitch

- connect an ohmmeter between the pins of the microswitch plug

- insert a .10mm feeler gauge between the microswitch and contact arm (long bolt)

- adjust the contact arm so it just electrically closes (your DVOM reads less then 1 ohm)

- tighten the locknut

- check the adjustment by inserting a .20mm feeler gauge between contact arm and the microswitch lever. you want to see the DVOM reading infinite resistance. if this isn't the case, try to adjust again.

• 4 months later...
Guest the505inme

Update! The idle flare up has gone! Why, I can't say exactly.

I changed the O2 sensor from a/m crap to oem bosch. Changed oil and filter, 5 50 mobile 1 oil. The outside temp has been +10 latley, with highs of 20, so it could be aux air after all? The idle seemed to be crazy high in the colder weather

I don't really care, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with a racing motor anymore! (unless it's my right foot of course)