Insurance claim update

Guest EUROTRASH

Guest EUROTRASH

Last message from insurance company:

"Fernando,

We do not use NADA or KBB, these are retail sites and do have a disclaimer that they are not for insurance purposes, we owe Actual Cash Value, or Private Party value, and that is what we have offered. If you would like to locate comparable vehicles listed for sale, please forward for consideration. You may forward invoices within the last year for consideration or you have the option to pursue the claim through your own carrier."

I'll need to find 505s listed for sale (preferably in good condition), if any of you have any links to post it would really help me out.

Sorry to bore you guys with this..

"Fernando,

We do not use NADA or KBB, these are retail sites and do have a disclaimer that they are not for insurance purposes, we owe Actual Cash Value, or Private Party value, and that is what we have offered. If you would like to locate comparable vehicles listed for sale, please forward for consideration. You may forward invoices within the last year for consideration or you have the option to pursue the claim through your own carrier."

I'll need to find 505s listed for sale (preferably in good condition), if any of you have any links to post it would really help me out.

What a joke! "...pursue the claim through your own carrier." What you should tell them is that you will pursue your legitimate claim against them in a court of law if they don't make you a reasonable offer. The amount you're asking for would be nothing compared to what it would cost them to try the case. Don't give in.

This is not legal advice, just my thoughts about what I would do. :)

Here's a car I'm thinking of calling about, a 1988 V6 for $3,200:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2050124234.html

-George

Guest EUROTRASH

What a joke! "...pursue the claim through your own carrier." What you should tell them is that you will pursue your legitimate claim against them in a court of law if they don't make you a reasonable offer. The amount you're asking for would be nothing compared to what it would cost them to try the case. Don't give in.

This is not legal advice, just my thoughts about what I would do. :)

Here's a car I'm thinking of calling about, a 1988 V6 for $3,200:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2050124234.html

-George

Yeah.. it's ridiculous, thanks for the link George

This car is super cheap!! What's the catch here?? It's so cheap I don't think I can use it for insurance purposes.

This car is super cheap!! What's the catch here?? It's so cheap I don't think I can use it for insurance purposes.

You should use Marek's car and Dick Borio's cars, both are super-nice and both are being offered at prices appreciably north of this (and deservedly so). Don't know what kind of documentation the insurance co. is requesting (listing? affidavit?), maybe Marek & Dick will help you out if you let them know what you need...

Also, don't forget, write everything down (keep good records) and use certified mail...

Andre

do a search on searchtempest.com (it combs all craigslists) for "peugeot" and you'll find some good ones (and notice the recurring theme of original owners only selling their peugeot because they need the money for hospital bills, or are too old/incapacitated to drive anymore

He is desperate and just dropped the price. Don't use that one...

Guest EUROTRASH

You should use Marek's car and Dick Borio's cars, both are super-nice and both are being offered at prices appreciably north of this (and deservedly so). Don't know what kind of documentation the insurance co. is requesting (listing? affidavit?), maybe Marek & Dick will help you out if you let them know what you need...

Also, don't forget, write everything down (keep good records) and use certified mail...

Andre

This is the only link I was able to use, can't remember who's car this is. It has to be an add and it has to have the price on it, otherwise it's useless.

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/10/12/bat-ex...rbo-s-survivor/

I thought about contacting Marek and Dick but I figured if they wanted to post an add with prices they would've done it already.

He is desperate and just dropped the price. Don't use that one...

Yeah.. I couldn't use it, I can't believe what he's asking for it.. it should be the most expensive 505 out there.

do a search on searchtempest.com (it combs all craigslists) for "peugeot" and you'll find some good ones (and notice the recurring theme of original owners only selling their peugeot because they need the money for hospital bills, or are too old/incapacitated to drive anymore

Thank you!

"Fernando,

just saw this one today

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2071466242.html

Andre

Guest EUROTRASH

Don't be passive - bombard the crap out of them with whatever relevent info you find!

Rabin

I plan to counter their excuses one step at a time, it will seem more evident to a judge in the event of a legal suit. And, as time passes it's their statistics that will get hurt, and their money... not mine. They're expecting me to get impatient and irritated, not gonna happen.

• 1 month later...

I plan to counter their excuses one step at a time, it will seem more evident to a judge in the event of a legal suit. And, as time passes it's their statistics that will get hurt, and their money... not mine. They're expecting me to get impatient and irritated, not gonna happen.

Hey Fernando, any update on your battle with the insurance company?

Andre

• 3 months later...
Guest EUROTRASH

hey fernando, any updates on your epic battle with the insurance company? how is your car?

andre

Hey Andre.. thanks for asking

I took the Insurance company to court, the judge dismissed it, said that in the state of Utah I was not allowed to sue them.

The Insurance company agreed to pay $200 less than the minimum cost to repair the car, the shop agreed, but then the Insurance company came up with a 'Release of all claims' that offered me no guarantee for my car's title. I submitted a revision to their claims release, just two sentences that basically said... if anyone declares a 'total loss' on my car your release claim is void. They refused my revision, so now I'm suing the driver who hit me. (this happened on Friday)

These people are scum... doesn't matter, I won't stop and no one touches my car's title.

Hey Andre.. thanks for asking

I took the Insurance company to court, the judge dismissed it, said that in the state of Utah I was not allowed to sue them.

The Insurance company agreed to pay $200 less than the minimum cost to repair the car, the shop agreed, but then the Insurance company came up with a 'Release of all claims' that offered me no guarantee for my car's title. I submitted a revision to their claims release, just two sentences that basically said... if anyone declares a 'total loss' on my car your release claim is void. They refused my revision, so now I'm suing the driver who hit me. (this happened on Friday)

These people are scum... doesn't matter, I won't stop and no one touches my car's title.

It is usually expensive and lonely to be principled.

Paul Theroux

hang in there... :)

andre

Guest EUROTRASH

It is usually expensive and lonely to be principled.

Paul Theroux

hang in there... :)

andre

In the end everyone tries to screw you, you can't be too careful.

I've been dealing with this crap for months now, reason why I haven't been here... too pissed off and frustrated, don't want to vent at anyone. But I think it'll be resolved.

Thanks again Andre

• 1 month later...

Lol me and Fernando are in the same boat. Insurance offered $1200 for mine yesterday :lol: Yeah, right...

But luckily, Fernando didn't incur any injuries (I don't Think). I've shifted my legal focus away from my car for the time being, but my law firm is working with us on the side to get my justice regarding the car as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest EUROTRASH

Lol me and Fernando are in the same boat. Insurance offered $1200 for mine yesterday :lol: Yeah, right...

But luckily, Fernando didn't incur any injuries (I don't Think). I've shifted my legal focus away from my car for the time being, but my law firm is working with us on the side to get my justice regarding the car as well.

No injuries, just really pissed off.

I won the second lawsuit though... today. :P

This time I sued the driver, but the little shit didn't even show up, he sent a lawyer. It was no use, all he had was the same bullshit "dealer valuation" the insurance company gave me, the judge saw right through it. So, I have the amount necessary to fix the car and the title is safe.

Thanks everyone for all the support, the info and for listening to me rant.

And Rob, don't settle for anything... sue them again and again if you have to.

DON'T MESS WITH THE PEUGEOT FAMILY ;)

Glad to hear you came out on top. Rob is actually in better shape in a way due to being injured, as they'll want to settle and make it go away. The insurance company will still try to steal you blind or course.

Is there a secret hand shake for the Peugeot family? :blink:

that's wonderful news, fernando. i'm glad to hear that justice was finally done.

i suggested a while back that we should have a motorsport section on the forum, maybe we should have a "legal" section. fernando can mod... :D

another future project -- got to look into my insurance at some point. when i got my car, i just added it to my existing AAA policy. they're not bad (as far as insurance companies go), but if any serious crunching happened to my car, i'd be in the same boat as fernando or rob -- fighting tooth and nail (as i suspect, most of us would be).

andré

Guest EUROTRASH

Thanks Bryan and Andre…

I think the legal section would be a good idea, we love our cars but these a-holes will always use millage and age to depreciate their value as much as possible, they wouldn't know classic if it slapped them in the face.

Few things I'd like to point out...

If someone presents you with a "dealer valuation", usually comprised of several dealers attesting to the "value of the car", it's bullshit… COMPLETE bullshit… especially if all of them agree on the same exact value and this value is far lower than the one on BLUE-BOOK or NADA Guide.

Don't bother fighting with the insurance company itself, instead sue them and ask these questions in court:

Did each and every one of them (dealers) have a Peugeot in their lot? (we know they don't)

What is their valuation formula?

What is their source? (especially if they all agree on the same value)

Why can't we see this information and what makes it more reputable than BLUE-BOOK or NADA Guide?

---------------------------------------------------------

After that you tell them this: This "valuation" (sarcastic tone) is just a verbal agreement between the insurance company and the dealerships to put them down as reference, these dealers don't even know what a Peugeot is. The insurance company doesn't think you're ever going to sue them so they basically say "take this and shut up". But the truth is, this "valuation" is fraud.

---------------------------------------------------------

Usually the law states that you can sue your own insurance company but not the other guy's because they're not "legally bound" to you. (loop-hole, no way around it, look it up where you live though). If you only have liability (like I had) you'll have to sue the driver himself/herself… (again, not his insurance). But then again that was probably just me being stupid having liability only.

Liability only or full cover, the fact is insurance companies will only cover you for the value of the car, so you might end up fighting for it anyway. Just don't let them declare a 'total loss' on your car, no matter what.

Things to take with you:

Blue-Book/NADA Guide valuation

Maintenance and parts receipts if you have them (I've spent more than $10,000 on my car and kept every receipt) …the lawyer will laugh at this point, you need to stay serious at all times.

If you need to fill out a "declaration of military service" on behalf of the drive who hit your car… check "NO" he/she is not in the military, check "MY OWN OBSERVATION" and write "his/her demeanor was not that of someone in the military" …if it's their fault negligence alone is sufficient argument… in my case it was easy, I saw the driver racing up and down a one-way street just prior to the accident so I wrote that. No one questioned me but I would have said "I find it hard to believe that someone in the military would behave like this".

Court constables will charge you $50.0 or more for delivery, depending on the distance. This is bullshit too. Just send it US Postal Service, CERTIFIED MAIL, print the US Mail delivery report off their website, not your email notification. Clip this notification to your receipt. *you must have this in court*

Anyway… that's all I can think of right now, any questions just ask. (send a message if I don't reply promptly)

Thanks again!! :lol:

Congratulations my friend! I'm so glad you were able to find a resolution after all the work and effort you've put into that car. Now make sure to get som stated value insurance on it ASAP!

I'll be getting my car appraised in the next few weeks as well - it's not quite done, but enough that it should appraise for a decent amount. Once it's redone paint wise, I'll get it appraised again and insured for the full amount.

Rabin

rabin -- do you have so-called "specialty" insurance for your cars? i know in the US, the vast majority of the policies one gets for cars are actual cash value (acv) -- "regular" car insurance. this is where us 505 owners get tripped up, because the standard valuation of our cars puts them somewhere just north of a mcdonald's happy meal. this is the problem that fernando had, and i'm sure rob will be looking at based on his accident.

"specialty" insurance, aka "classic car" insurance, will pay a stated value (based on a appraisal or whatever), but has some important limitations...generally, you can't drive the vehicle more than about 2,500 miles a year and some policies require that you have another car that's your daily driver. when you read the literature & websites for these policies, they have FAQ questions like, "can i drive my car in a parade?" or, "can i take my car out for a sunday drive?" the answer is always yes for these questions, but what if i want to take a weekend trip to santa barbara in my car? that's something like a 250-300 mile round trip, well below the limits of the policy, but i bet a fender-bender in santa barbara wouldn't be covered for me under one of these policies.

does insurance work a bit different in canada, or do you just have so many peugeots that none of them gets more than 2,500 miles a year? :D

now, in my case, i have another car to drive, but i expect that once i get my 505 the way i want it (or, at least, closer), i'll be driving it more than 2,500 miles a year. if i could find a stated value policy that lets me drive 5k miles a year, that would be perfect. don't know if such a thing exists, though...

andré