4x100 Adapter Group Buy

Bean

UPDATED: There has been some talk recently on the need for having better wheel options for our cars. I have contacted and worked with Avalanche Performance and he's willing to do up either 4x100 or 4x114.3 adapters.

$500 is the price. $250 up front, $250 before they ship them out.

Edited by Bean
Updated with current info

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that Miata center bore hub hole are pretty small, I have a set of 14" daisy wheels here. VW people use the daisy wheel alot but have to bore the hub hole abit to make them work on MKI and MKII cars because of the same bolt pattern, until they went to 5X100. But just need to figure out the offset and backspacing for the front measurement so it won't hit the strut if going 7.5. Trying to also talk to Dushane to see if he wants in on the adapters, he'll most likely would want aleast a set, if not 2, but have not talked to confirm yet.

I know that Miata center bore hub hole are pretty small, I have a set of 14" daisy wheels here. VW people use the daisy wheel alot but have to bore the hub hole abit to make them work on MKI and MKII cars because of the same bolt pattern, until they went to 5X100. But just need to figure out the offset and backspacing for the front measurement so it won't hit the strut if going 7.5. Trying to also talk to Dushane to see if he wants in on the adapters, he'll most likely would want aleast a set, if not 2, but have not talked to confirm yet.

Center bore for the wheel will be whatever suits the wheel of choice. If it's Miata then the adapter will have the Miata bore. If there's a common bore size with Honda and VW's then it might make more sense to use one of those wheels so there's more options.

Miata's are fairly rare up here, where as VW's and Honda's are a dime a dozen, and wheels can be found dirt cheap.

Rabin

I spoke to my buddy today, and he figures he can do a set of mild steel adapters to our spec for $200/set. Wheel studs, lug nuts, and hardware to mount them would be extra, and depending what was wanted would determine final cost... (ARP wheel studs for instance)

So... Decision time now since we need to choose the wheel size to be used (or at least the width) the donor car to be used for the wheels of choice, and what level of "kit" was wanted. (All hardware to bolt in and go, or just the adapter plates)

Bryan and I discussed this a little and he feels that the Miata offers the best match and availability and I tend to agree. So now to decide what size.

Personally I'm thinking 17x7.5" would be a great upgrade. Thoughts?

Rabin

I did enough checking around to know that there are a lot of options for Miatas in 17x7.5", so this sounds fine to me. The Miata is a popular enough car that it's widely supported by the aftermarket wheel manufacturers. In any event, I'm willing to go with whatever the group decides.

Before Rabin started this thread discussing a group buy, I had gotten a quote from one of the online places that specializes in adapters (http://www.motorsport-tech.com/), they quoted me $265 but I was going to have to give them much more detailed specs so I was glad that the group buy came up, $35 didn't seem like much to take advantage of your expertise/experience. So needless to say, I'm happy with the $200+ quote.

I don't even have the car yet! Even if that fell through (which I hope doesn't happen), I'm fairly certain I could get some or all of my money back from another owner (peugeot-l or some such), though I'm not counting on that.

Seems to me that owning a 25-year old european car is like going to a strip club -- if you're not willing to spend any money, you might as well stay home...:D

Andre

Doing a 5 bolt circle would be a PITA since one or two of the lugs will be really close to the 4x140. Best set up would be a 4 bolt pattern, so 4x100 or 4x114.3. 4x100 would be more popular I think - so that's what would likely be best. 4x114.3 is what D00zer did, 4x100 is what the Surrender Monkey's did on the LeMons car using Miata wheels...

Most of the LeMons guys had or raced Miata's so it was a no brainer for them to make the adapters to fit those wheels.

I don't have any wheels in 4x100, so I'd have to find a set as well. I'll have to do a little research to see what's available here and go from there. If buying new it's not really an issue - but I'd prefer to get a used set of rims (w/ tires) if possible as it's the best bang for the $$.

One really nice thing would be to have access to some of the really nice wheels....

Rabin

I know right, I'm just a little concerned about 7.5, in a 17", It might work with the right offset, the strut is what concerns me on the race cars, and I know with the 225-50-15 Hoosiers concerned me, right side hit the strut on both race cars. Thats why I got spacers for the new car. I would image 215-45, which I have a tire of 215/45 @ the shop, I think it would be a safe size with the adapters. Checking local fourms seeing if anyone has a 4X100 rim for test fit and measure

The adapter takes care of the strut spacing - that's why we need to decide on the target rim so that we can spec the adapter thickness to insure proper spacing to the strut tube.

My buddy owns a wheel refinishing shop - so I'll just see if he has some rims for a Miata in stock to test fit it. It does need to be as close as possible to reduce the already hugely increased scrub radius however.

I'm running 225-45-17's on 7.5" rims on my V70R and it's a nice size fit for the rim. Nice square shoulders and little to no shoulder bulge - so that's the target size I'd shoot for. (Or 225-40-17's)

If you wanted to run bigger on the back, or even a staggered set up that would be cool as well as the rear has a fair bit of room in the wells.

FWIW - the BMW mags I have for the 89' are 235-45-17's, and I'm hoping to have a track set of rims that are 245's or even 255's - but it'll all depend on what kind of clearances I have.

Rabin

I spoke to my buddy today, and he figures he can do a set of mild steel adapters to our spec for $200/set. Wheel studs, lug nuts, and hardware to mount them would be extra, and depending what was wanted would determine final cost... (ARP wheel studs for instance)

So... Decision time now since we need to choose the wheel size to be used (or at least the width) the donor car to be used for the wheels of choice, and what level of "kit" was wanted. (All hardware to bolt in and go, or just the adapter plates)

Bryan and I discussed this a little and he feels that the Miata offers the best match and availability and I tend to agree. So now to decide what size.

Personally I'm thinking 17x7.5" would be a great upgrade. Thoughts?

Rabin

this is a wild stabb in the dark, but what the Mini Coopers?

I was looking at some rims today here, noticed how close the offset is on the STI mags to the strut, had me thinking thats got to be a like a 2 inch adapter, went to surrender monkeys blog and yeah it's just what I thought. I found some nice Mini rims local for sale. though the hub bore would be small aswell...

http://burlington.craigslist.org/pts/2018924870.html

IMG_0269.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Mini styled wheel...

The size is good, and with that offset on a narrower wheel the adapter should be thinner than one needed for a 7.5" wheel with a similar FWD offset.

I still prefer backspacing as the final confirmation number, measured directly off the wheel. I realize it can be calculated, but it comes to "measure twice and cut once" way of thinking.

BTW: I tried finding the posts about the wheel adapter but couldn't find anything. I doubt that adapter pictured is a full 2", but it's more than 2" for sure. I like how it was milled down somewhat to lighten it as wel, and I was thinking something similar could be done to get some weight savings - especially if it's done in mild steel.

I've been searching for some suitable rims locally used - but nothing so far has caught my attention. Subie wheels (5x100 versions), or even wheels from the AWD or RWD Nissans would be cool as well.

Rabin

NASA had a Konig wheel member benefit and I plan to use that when its time to buy wheels. A friend just bought a set of four 4x100 with a 40mm offset, $394 shipped to Atlanta GA from So Cal. Not a bad price!

My reasoning for Miata wheels is that they are so bloody plentiful from various manufacturers, light weight and inexpensive.

I'm planning to stick with 15 x 7 for my car currently because I can use a 215/50/15 all the way up to 245/45/15 (which I think will fit) from Hoosier in the R6 compound.

As an added plus the 215/50/15 in Toyo RA1 is the spec tire in 3 different classes in NASA and that means takes offs are cheap and readily available as well as its a popular size for racing in general right now.

I'd prefer aluminum to steel as well. If going with the VW/Honda pattern is preferred by the gang then I can easily go that route. I'll need to buy wheels regardless.

Bryan

The beauty of this deal is that it's the same price whether you spec out whatever bolt pattern / thickness you want, or we do a group buy with multiples of the same adapter. Phil is charging time and materials only - so it's great for any of us that want a custom set up.

Bryan makes excellent points - but it also depends on your locality. Where I am - none of the reasons apply, so for me - I'm just looking for the best deal I can find on some sweet rims. I'd prefer to buy used BBS or something high end rather than going with a cheaper new wheel - so that's what I'm keeping an eye out for.

Update: I spoke with Phil tonight and he advised that the cheapest material cost will be if he can use 1" plate stock. If the adapter needs to be thicker than that - then material cost will go up as well.

So prices at this point are still educated guesses. I can give formal costing once each person decides what dimensions to use.

Rabin

The beauty of this deal is that it's the same price whether you spec out whatever bolt pattern / thickness you want, or we do a group buy with multiples of the same adapter. Phil is charging time and materials only - so it's great for any of us that want a custom set up.

Bryan makes excellent points - but it also depends on your locality. Where I am - none of the reasons apply, so for me - I'm just looking for the best deal I can find on some sweet rims. I'd prefer to buy used BBS or something high end rather than going with a cheaper new wheel - so that's what I'm keeping an eye out for.

Update: I spoke with Phil tonight and he advised that the cheapest material cost will be if he can use 1" plate stock. If the adapter needs to be thicker than that - then material cost will go up as well.

So prices at this point are still educated guesses. I can give formal costing once each person decides what dimensions to use.

Rabin

Rabin, despite my post a few minutes ago about how I'm having to defer my car purchase for a while (http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1760&pid=12091&mode=threaded&show=&st=0entry12091), I still want a 505 and thus will want nice wheels for it, so I'm still in for this group purchase.

Since I don't have the wheels or the car, I'm unconstrained as to the specs of the adapters, and since I like a lot of the aftermarket wheels available for Miatas or Minis (4x100) either would be fine for me. As I mentioned earlier, one of the reasons I like this group purchase idea is that I can rely on the expertise of others.

So whatever makes the most sense, both in terms of the adapters themselves and in terms of the group purchase, is what I want. Looking to put 17 x 7 (or thereabouts) wheels on the car, daily driver, will rarely (if ever) see snow or ice...

Thanks again for all your advice.

Andre

Tire Rack Miata search

From memory the backspacing of the Peugeot wheel is ~4.5" So the Miata wheels with the ~5.5" spacing would be perfect for the 25mm adapter. Backspacing greater than 5.5" would mean we'd have to spec out a thicker spacer, and material cost would go up.

I'll confirm the 505 alloy backspacing though and update the thread so we can make some decisions if anybody wants theirs soon.

Rabin

Tire Rack Miata search

From memory the backspacing of the Peugeot wheel is ~4.5" So the Miata wheels with the ~5.5" spacing would be perfect for the 25mm adapter. Backspacing greater than 5.5" would mean we'd have to spec out a thicker spacer, and material cost would go up.

I'll confirm the 505 alloy backspacing though and update the thread so we can make some decisions if anybody wants theirs soon.

Rabin

This is an exciting thread Bean! I have been wanting to put some aftermarket wheels on my car for as long as I have owned it. I will check a close watchful eye on this thread. I did browse through the available rims from tire rack in the link that you had included earlier in the thread. Started my wish list.

I'm curious.. is any one of you interested in selling your OEM 505 wheels?

I'm talking about the type you see on my photo here on the left.

Sukhoi,

I would be willing to sell mine. the only thing is I had them painted gun metal gray. If I do say so myself, i think they look pretty cool. but you can always reprimer them and paint them alloy color gray. I just need to find the right rims and fit them to my car.

Guest EUROTRASH

Sukhoi,

I would be willing to sell mine. the only thing is I had them painted gun metal gray. If I do say so myself, i think they look pretty cool. but you can always reprimer them and paint them alloy color gray. I just need to find the right rims and fit them to my car.

Well, when it comes to the 505 I'm all about OEM, I plan to resurface my wheels in their original tone. So, it really doesn't matter if your wheels are painted, they're gonna get sand-blasted anyway. I don't need four extra wheels however, I was thinking of buying two.

Let me know if you'd be willing to do that, assuming you find your wheels of course.

Thanks

There has been some talk recently on the need for having better wheel options for our cars. So may as well put our money where our mouths are so that we can see if there's enough interest to commission the manufacture of them. If we get 10 or more I'll pursue getting them made with non-refundable 50% deposit of $150. If they don't get made - all money will be refunded - but I won't front the cost of getting them done without cash in hand.

$300 is the estimated price - but once interest is confirmed, final pricing will be communicated before proceeding.

I'll start: (copy and paste the list and add your name)

Rabin x2

Bean,

I have a question. The link to tire rack that you provided us with, the year of the miata wheels is for 1994. Would that be the only year that we can research wheel specs and sizes for? Also, would the back spacing be resticted to only 5.5"? I have seen some wheels that I like but the back spacing ranges from 5.75 to 5.8. Just wondering.