using a Mercedes diesel for a transplant

cobranut

I am still in the collecting parts mode for this project. I am leaning toward putting in a 1990 300d ind rear pumpkin. It has the stub axles with external flanges so all I have to do is fab a cage and mate the half shafts to the Pug hubs. I told you I had got the fast car syndrome out of my system. Now I'm trying for reliability and fuel mileage. Plus I guess I'm tired of the parts unavailability for the turbo stuff. The diesel doesn't need a computer to run it and many of the relays and sensors can be removed from the car. The batt will go in the trunk to offset some of the 120 lb difference in engine weights. Total lengths from front of dampener to tail shaft is very similar. Peug rad should work fine. I'll have to run the pusher electric fan in front of the rad. I removed the battery tray supports. Cross member is approx in the correct position. Exhaust is in the right spot. MB uses the flex joints instead of u joints so that should fit easily. Trans width is going to be close with Pug's narrow tunnel. I may take out the heater ducts and core to make enough room for insulating and keeping the engine as far back as possible. This is a summer car only so as not to expose it to salt on the roads. Now I am doing all the service on the Benz while it is easy to reach. Adjust valves, new timing chain and tensioner, new injectors, all fuel lines and hoses, new trans fluid and filter. The Benz has an internal replaceable power steering filter.It has oil squirters under the pistons to keep them cool. Look up what they say for the 3 liter 5cyl diesel (617) MB. Google it. It is known as possibly the best all time most reliable automobile engine. It consistently goes half a million miles with minimal care. It should get 33/34 mpg with the rather tall 2.85 rear I'll install. With 5 cylinders, it has better torque than the Pug diesel and much better reliability. Hey, these cars were manufactured fairly close to eachother and share many things in common. Mostly the use of Bosche electronics and the general layout of their parts. MB 617's have a reputation with the four wheeling crowd and have pics and docs on many sites. There are companies that make adapters for Chevy transmissions. That is a plus also that Benz has a plate between the engine and trans. I've had three or four Pug's and the turbo diesel engines consistently needed head gaskets. I know this kind of talk doesn't go over well on the Pug purists but... So any help here from others who have done transplants and how they overcame things would be entusiastically encouraged .Al

To the best of my knowledge, only a couple of drivetrain transplants have ever occurred with 505s. With English speakers, even less. And of those, it's been all-in-the-family.

Most swaps I've seen are limited by the skill, determination, resources and bank account of the person in charge. You'll need at least three of the four.

I looked into swapping a 7M-GTE into a 505 (3.0L inline Toyota six) into a 505 and after a lot of measuring, I decided against it.

What's your experience level with a project like this?

To the best of my knowledge, only a couple of drivetrain transplants have ever occurred with 505s. With English speakers, even less. And of those, it's been all-in-the-family.

Most swaps I've seen are limited by the skill, determination, resources and bank account of the person in charge. You'll need at least three of the four.

I looked into swapping a 7M-GTE into a 505 (3.0L inline Toyota six) into a 505 and after a lot of measuring, I decided against it.

What's your experience level with a project like this?

I started out in my teens (early 60's) helping friends swapping engines/trans combos in search of faster cars. Mostly outside in the mud. In 68 I joined a racecar team campaigning a formula A. That was my foundation for a life long pursuit. I'm now 65 and still haven't stopped tinkering as I call it now. I came by this Benz motor and trans for $100. I have a very clean turbo car with no rust. I have a complete Benz 240d car from a scrap yard that I got for the hauling. Now my wife is really thinking I've gone off the deep end but she's patiently watched this before and realizes that it will happen. I have determination, that's one. I have had extreme good fortune throughout my carreer of things happening at the right time. I have access to some very talented people, both on this site and here where I live who share willingly out of the love of what we do. I have no time frame here and the only criteria that I have is to only work on it in a good frame of mind. So there you have it, a fellow up to his elbows... Now, I'll bet this type of behavior is rampant among us. Al

Not too much at all actually. Peugeot owners tend to be of two basic types these days. 1) Turn-key drivers that help scrounge parts and depend on a mechanic to make it all happen and 2) Youngsters with neither the budgets, expertise or experience to make it go.

Most people who own Peugeots would rather own other cars, but happen on them because of their price which again swells the ranks of type 2.

Spotting me with both 20 years and experience, I'd say you're good to go on this. :D I'd do it if I were so inclined. I'm "saving" my best wrenching years for a Citroem SM and getting by nowdays just rebuilding a N9TE to stock specs.

The biggest challenge I saw with the 505 chassis is the small engine bay (lengthwise). The car is really designed for an inline 4. The Toyota six I measured up would require hacking which I'm lothe to do.

I'd say get going. All you've mentioned suggests that it would be a nice package if executed properly. I'm not a diesel fan, but can really appreciate good, well thought-out work.

As far as experts go, the only guy I can recommend who is more versed in this would be Mike Aube on the Peugeot-L list. Goto groups.yahoo.com and join the "Peugeot-L" group. It's the oldest Peugeot group on the internet and a lot of good writings have occured over there in the last 15 years.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

As someone who has transplanted a Nissan engine into a 505 I encourage you to go for it. Its a great learning experience and you get a car in the end that's unique. Its also enjoyable if you have a good work space and plenty of time and not rushing to get the car on the road. Good luck with the project!