Oregon to Saskatchewan...

Bean

Well – as promised, here is the adventure I just went on to get my new to me 89’ 505 Turbo 5-sp.

As you know this all started with August putting his car up on e-bay. When the final bid came up woefully short, I immediately contacted him and asked that if he was willing to let it go at that price – I’d try to buy it.

When the second offer fell through – I talked it over with my wife and she agreed that the time I needed to spend getting my 85 in shape for winter was worth saving. Similar and likely more cash to get the 85 into half as good a shape as well – so it was a no brainer.

I booked flights, and August was a huge help in getting the paper work together and sent off to US customs so that I could get the car across.

When planning the border crossing – I looked on google maps and tried to find the nicest drive possible on the way back. That meant going north just after Spokane and crossing at Eastport, up to Cranbrook BC, then east to Regina via Lethbridge.

After arriving in Portland, August picked me up at the airport in his new ride, and we headed off to his place to check out the car. It was dark when we arrived, so he handed me the keys and we went for a little scoot. All the anticipation vanished that first drive and was firmly replaced with elation – car handled fantastic! I grabbed some food and we headed back to the garage where August told me I could take anything I wanted from his spares collection. I warned him I knew how to pack – but he still let me go to town. I stayed up till 1 AM figuring out what I wanted, then woke up at 5:30 ready to go pack it up. Waited till 6am then headed out to load the car.

I packed the ever living crap out of the car. Full set of wheels, a windshield, struts, diff, cylinder head, and tons and tons of N9te internals and such. Car was on the bump stops with the full tank of gas – thankfully the roads down there are so nice!

August got me on my way around 1 PM after setting me up with some maps and directions from google maps.

Trip to Spokane was uneventful aside for a slight detour. I was boppin away to tunes and totally missed my first exit. Luckily I realized this after I84 did this amazing drop and ascent through a valley. Traffic was light and I was flying down and back up using the whole three lanes corner to corner – that was my first taste. I doubled back and did the same valley again – but the other side wasn’t as fun. Figured a way to get back on track and was back on track after a slight 90 mile detour… :)

Once heading North from Spokane, it started to get dark – just has the mountains were starting to come into view. Traffic was really light, and the euro lights were fantastic. Car was fully loaded so I wasn’t bonzia running or anything, but just a nice drive enjoying the corners and the nice pavement. By this time I was in the car for a good 9 hours and I again knew how good the 505 seats are. No back pain what so ever.

Got to the border stop and this is where I was just plain dumb. As I approached it wasn’t very well lit, and I missed the visitor parking sign. I also didn’t see an entrance – so instead of backing up I went around the building and went through the Can – US entrance which confused the whole process. I also left my passport in my suitcase, and thought it was in my camera bag. (Note: Don’t ever start digging around in a heavily packed car – border guard was rightly upset.) He figured out I was a harmless idiot soon enough when I produced my passport, then processed me and sent me on my way. Canada was easy as well – and then I was off to enjoy some more amazing roads to Cranbrook BC.

This was one of the most fun drives: as I was overtaking three cars the middle A3 Golf pulled out in front of me to pass the lead car. Annoyed – I let him pull back in and proceeded to pass him as well. (4th gear – boost at the ready). Well – he didn’t much like that as he was on my rear bumper as the corners arrived. I stayed in my lane, and wasn’t driving like a maniac or anything, but the car just felt so stable that I just enjoyed the drive and watched as the golf tried hard to keep up. We passed several sets of cars, and he even made a bone head pass to get by me in traffic, but once the uphill passing lane opened up, I left him like he hit the brakes. THOROUGHLY enjoyed that mountain drive.

Had a quick breakfast meal at midnight in Cranbrook, then headed for Lethbridge for the night. That’s the stretch where the roads gradually straightened out and the pavement quality just got worse and worse. I was supposed to crash with family, but since arrived so late, I just slept in the car. Usually not an issue – but with it packed so tight, I had to sleep sitting up in the driver seat. Killed 3 hours like that then headed to Medicine Hat in the rain.

As I entered Medicine Hat I spotted a nice 505 out of the corner of my eye… That’s odd. I should give chase I thought… :) I had missed the turn off as I saw them last minute, so hummed and hawed on if I should actually turn around and try to find the car. What the heck – turned the car around and headed back.

Must have been quite the surprise for Hugh (hi Hugh!) when I pulled up to him and his spouse (he was getting dropped off.) I pulled up beside them and told them I spotted the car and thought I should introduce myself and see if they were enthusiasts at all. Well – Hugh isn’t just an enthusiast – he’s hardcore! I think he said he had 11 Peugeots, and that he too had an 86 505 Turbo project car. The tell tale sign was that 505turbo is his homepage! We exchanged info, and chatted about the 89 for a bit. He thought it was stunning… :D

After the very pleasant meet with Hugh, I headed off to fill the car up, and check the diff oil level. Since the car was on it’s bump stops – I needed a way to get under the car. Looked for a loading dock I could hang the rear bumper off in vain, so settled on a mall parking lot. Backed onto the surrounding gravel and hung the rear end off the curb. Worked dandy and topped up the diff with the handy bottle pump I bought at Napa. (had a little shopping spree at the local Napa when we were going over the car in Oregon)

I arrived in Regina around 3 PM and promptly unloaded the car. I went to pull off the car cover of my sad white 86’ project car so it could meet it’s new sister, and that’s when I saw that the neighbourhood vandals had smashed the windshield as well. (Driver and passenger doors were this last winter.)

All in all it was one of the best road trips ever. Can’t think of a better way to get to know a car than a good road trip. Pics to follow once developed. I'll post new ones once I get it safetied and can take proper pictures.

Needing a winter car was the reason for getting the car - but it'll be licensed and used all year likely. I still love my 76' 504, so that will only get driven in the summer / fair weather months due to existing rust, so it's the summer car... :)

The 89' will likely be the new DD though, and the 504 can get some much needed rust repairs.

And yes - it does suck seeing my 86 vandalized. Hoping to get the 85 moved to an acreage, then the 86 can get into the garage and I can start putting her back together, as well as getting all the trick bits installed.

Rabin