What performance parts do i need???

Guest dane

HI i have a 1985 505 turbo i was wondering what i need to make my car a 13sec car in the 1/4mile, and where i could pick them up? also i was wondering what i need to put a t3t4 hybrid turbo in??

thanks dane

HI i have a 1985 505 turbo i was wondering what i need to make my car a 13sec car in the 1/4mile, and where i could pick them up? also i was wondering what i need to put a t3t4 hybrid turbo in??

thanks dane

Only turbo change does not do the job... keep on reading forum!

V-M

what would do the job? i just want to know what i need to make it into the 13's?

- Pistons

- Head porting

- injectors

- turbo

- some engine management system

- cam

- FIC

with that set up or using some other brand engine directly... like Saab 2.3L 16v, Volvo 2.3L 16v, Nissan 2.0L 16v....etc...

Depending what side of world u live... cause u have not put location information on your profile... :)

Here is not many who has made 300hp from 505 N9T... I would say.. none (no proof at least yet).

V-M

Yep - the phrase "speed costs money - how fast do you wanna go" never meant more than with Peugeot's. This car will easily cost 5 - 10 times more than any other car to get into the 13's. It's a very rare car with no aftermarket support, and even common rebuild parts are NLA (like bearings).

So you either have to go full custom, or re-engine it.

Car has never been about 1/4 mile either, and if that's all you want is to get into the 13's then buy an old turbo dodge from the late 80's - likely the cheapest 13 second car you can find.

Rabin

I'll go further and guess Dane is a teenager... :)

No offence man - but you sound young. If you're serious about making this car fast, do lots of reading on this forum. Tons of info here, but it'll be VERY expensive and you'll need to have a LOT of resources at your disposal to make it happen. (Not just bucket loads of cash which you'll need as well)

It *might* be possible to do a ghetto 13 second car - but you'd have to be really lucky not to blow it up before it got there. Boost and fuel, some ECU trickery,and pray it stays together.

Rabin

I'll go further and guess Dane is a teenager... :)

No offence man - but you sound young. If you're serious about making this car fast, do lots of reading on this forum. Tons of info here, but it'll be VERY expensive and you'll need to have a LOT of resources at your disposal to make it happen. (Not just bucket loads of cash which you'll need as well)

It *might* be possible to do a ghetto 13 second car - but you'd have to be really lucky not to blow it up before it got there. Boost and fuel, some ECU trickery,and pray it stays together.

Rabin

ha ya im 20 and i live in Tacoma Washington, ha im good on the ghetto car lol im trying to keep this thing together as long as i can,ust trying to make it a little faster, do you know of any little things i can do to make it a bit faster with blowing it up or having to mess with the motor internals? i hear a certain bmw has bigger fuel injectors that will fit in the 505 turbo you know if that's true? and what model? i know a intercooler will add a little more hp but i cant find one anywhere :)

ha ya im 20 and i live in Tacoma Washington, ha im good on the ghetto car lol im trying to keep this thing together as long as i can,ust trying to make it a little faster, do you know of any little things i can do to make it a bit faster with blowing it up or having to mess with the motor internals? i hear a certain bmw has bigger fuel injectors that will fit in the 505 turbo you know if that's true? and what model? i know a intercooler will add a little more hp but i cant find one anywhere :)

sorry i meant without blowing it up

These can be 14 second cars if that helps at all... :)

Trouble with these cars is that they're so rare and new parts are hard to come by. The 85' has lower compression, and the turbo is a bit bigger than the newer ones, but it's oil cooled instead of the newer water cooled ones.

So the ghetto version would be to get bigger injectors, a higher FPR, MBC, and you'll have to put a wide band O2 sensor and/or a EGT gauge at the very least to see if you can tune that sucker and still keep it alive. Before all this though - it HAS to be returned to stage 0. (Gotta be perfectly tuned and in VERY good shape before you start modding it.)

I'm actually working on a kind of ghetto mod by installing the entire ECU off a late 80's Turbo Dodge's (SMEC) that should give it the tools to hit the power necessary to do 13's - but that's a ways off from being completed. (I'll document for others to do it if it works though!)

It'll be a lot of work, and there isn't a recipe for it like there are on other cars. It's a big undertaking - but you also have to remember it's an old car that likely has high miles.

Rabin

ha ya that's helps that's fast enough for me :) So is the t3t4 hybrid turbo water cooled? but i cant put that in with out messing with the motor internals right? And where do i get toughs bigger injectors at? I don't know what a FPR, MBC is? mine isn't quite to stage 0 yet as of 2 days ago when i turn the key over it starts and idles just fine but about 10 sec later the idle drops wayyy down and runs really rough but it will stay running. but as soon as i touch the gas it shuts off :) Im thinking fuel pump? but other then that everything is in great shape and the car only has 84476 mile on it.

-Dane

A T3/T4 hybrid needs to be built out of a stock exhaust Peugeot housing, as the manifold bolt pattern isn't common to any other car. So if you don't have a custom manifold, or have an adapter made - it needs to be a custom built turbo. You could do the upgraded turbo without touching the internals - but you just won't be able to do really high boost - likely a 17 psi max if all is OK with your AFR and EGT's.

As for the rest - those TLA's I use (three letter acronyms) are really basic turbo terms - so you need to start reading and researching what they are (google is your friend). Don't mean to be a prick - but you gotta know this stuff if you're even thinking about modding the car. Same goes for the injectors and stuff. You need to find the info you need - but a hint for a common fuel upgrade - injector is the bosch 803's and a 3 bar FPR. You still need to do lots of reading and researching though - like I said it's not like we can just give you a recipe and voila it's going to work. Lots of effort, and lots of research. First step will be to get the car running 100% and that means really dialing it in adjustment wise. Get a hold of an FSM (factory service manual) and start going through the diagnostics and tune up for it.

Rabin

another option for inejctors are the "brown tops" found in ford's. they are not bosch, but are a low impedance injector which are commonly used by the volvo tuner guys. they flow a bit over 400cc @ 3bar if i remember right, and aren't too expensive.

i know it may sound lame, but getting the car running "right" in the first place will make more power in the long run (by far) -- what does that mean?

buy a factory peugeot manual (western hemispheres, rob courtier (javel), brian holm) and check & set everything

Aif flow meter

TPS

Microswitch

Fuel Pressure

Valve Adjust

Boost pressure

CHeck for air leaks

the list goes on and on, but once you are done the engine will run better, and will most likely be quite a bit faster then it is now (well, yeah, since it isn't really running).

reading this thread makes me go back to wanting to buy a 505, do the famous tuning steps, documenting it from the ground up, then sell it to one of you guys. that'd be an awesome doc IMO.. :)

OK found the problem the fuel filter was clogged i took it off and cleaned it out and put it back in and after a few crank's it started right up and is running real nice :) so i read a little of the forum and i read that you can run 16 17 psi without putting and performance parts in besides intercooler is that right?

the 1985 505 runs 8psi stalk yes?

OK found the problem the fuel filter was clogged i took it off and cleaned it out and put it back in and after a few crank's it started right up and is running real nice :) so i read a little of the forum and i read that you can run 16 17 psi without putting and performance parts in besides intercooler is that right?

the 1985 505 runs 8psi stalk yes?

How did you "clean" the filter out? It's a sealed steel canister... Replacement is the only way to really fix it. If you just blew crap out of it - then it'll likely plug up right away since it's the fine stuff that won't blow out that does most of the plugging of the filter media.

Stock psi is around 8... But you really need to put the effort into making it stage 0 even if you think it's running great. Upping the boost stresses the motor an incredible amount and if you want it to stay together you gotta do it right.

If you just put some stuff on and crank the boost - there's only a slim chance it'll run right and last.

BTW August - you have 2 505's - why would you need to buy one to document the tune up? :) If I had time I'd do it to the 85 Turbo I want to resurrect after X-mas - so we'll see how that goes. Likely just end up doing the SMEC conversion on it though since I'm so short of time.

Rabin

so i read a little of the forum and i read that you can run 16 17 psi without putting and performance parts in besides intercooler is that right?

nope. to run 16-17psi the car needs more fuel, and needs to be in good "stage 0" order like bean and i have been trying to stress...

think of it like this -- if you get the car to spec, it will have more power. do that first, otherwise it's going to be 1) not as fast as it could be 2) will randomly burst into flames (just kidding).

BTW August - you have 2 505's - why would you need to buy one to document the tune up?

good question -- car #1 is already tuned to spec, and car #2 is too far modified already. it'd be cool to get something and document it from very beginning to end.

then again, the last thing i need is another 505...ugh! it would be fun though if i could find a manual tranny turbo cheap.

I would not but more than 12-13psi... with original turbo and exhaust. After that back pressure is huge and generates only heat. I have tested that and It was just dropping power after above 12psi with original setup. High psi can give peak power but that drops very fast.

Adding fuel is effecting only cause more fuel is cooling abit. IMHO.

And here in Finland temperature is much less than u guys. (surely not every where... u have also real winter there some places) :) But in summer time when this power is realy in best usage.

Changing exhaust to breath more it could be ok to rise 1-2psi but then original turbo is it limit.

V-M

Guest EUROTRASH

thanks dane

Why don't you just get a Honda Civic and customize the crap out of it?

Why take a big, heavy... rare Peugeot 505 and ruin it just to show off in front of your stupid frat-boy friends.

I just don't get it.

you guys are all lucky that you have a turbo car to play with :)

I'm personally not sure if I will get another Peugeot any time soon...

I have a lead on a 89' E30 M3...and one thats NOT going for one of those ridiculous prices.....

Cheap E30 M3 would scare me - if it's cheap it's usually cheap for a reason. These can be nasty white elephants - so proceed with caution.

Good points about the 2 505's August. I keep having to pass on great deals on cool cars since I don't even have the time for the cool cars I already have! Still want more though... :)

If I figure the no start issue on my 85 then it'll be easy to document getting it to stock stage 0. If it's a pain to diagnose then it'll just got straight to the SMEC conversion to get it running. That's the original plan anyway - but if my winter beater sells (90' Subaru Legacy) then I'll need a winter car ASAP and the 85' Turbo is it.

Rabin

Why don't you just get a Honda Civic and customize the crap out of it?

Why take a big, heavy... rare Peugeot 505 and ruin it just to show off in front of your stupid frat-boy friends.

I just don't get it.

becouse i think its cool to see a rear car that nobody has smash on some fart can civic that evrybody drives, And around hear where i live if you own a honda of any kind you might as well just leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition that way when somebody steals it you wont have to replace the locks becouse its almost geranted to be stolen.

plus i hate front weil drive cars their not near as fun.

I would not but more than 12-13psi... with original turbo and exhaust. After that back pressure is huge and generates only heat. I have tested that and It was just dropping power after above 12psi with original setup. High psi can give peak power but that drops very fast.

Adding fuel is effecting only cause more fuel is cooling abit. IMHO.

And here in Finland temperature is much less than u guys. (surely not every where... u have also real winter there some places) :) But in summer time when this power is realy in best usage.

Changing exhaust to breath more it could be ok to rise 1-2psi but then original turbo is it limit.

V-M

i have a bov would that make any difference to adding more psi?

oh god, don't make your car sound like a ricer :)

peugeots have more class than that.

yeah rabin, i think the car may have some fuel sending problems

honstely, i've already talked to few friends' who are into bimmers, and have warned me that they are a bitch to fix....and i'd need alot of $$$ to keep it running.

I still would LOVE a 5spd 505 turbo in red.

I think that Vic's Deuce would be too nice for me. Maybe something cheaper. Like for example, the car that the Lemons racing team found.

...now that was a FIND.

Oh yeah, and August, what'd I tell you about some pics of the older car :)

Wow this thread really hit a sore spot...

I was just thinking the other day when I saw a bizarre looking Civic with a crazy ugly body kit. I thought wow, that poor car.

I have a 90 Civic that I got for cheap because it had an electrical problem & the lady who owned it kept taking it to crackhead mechanics that would just replace random parts, Eventually turned out to be a loose connection somwhere.. So far Its spent more time in the shop than my Peugeot and it has almost half the mileage, now its making a clunking noise like the CV joints are worn out. It's totally stock but I kind of want to buy a header for it...They're only like 60$ on ebay, silly I know. :)

Anyway back on topic, the only thing limiting you from having a 13 second car is the amount of money you wanna burn. Drop a V8 in there!

Or realistically..

Get it tuned up and running properly. make sure the cooling system is up to snuff and not running to hot.

Buy a new fuel filter.. they're like 10$. My Car Smoked really bad for a year and half until I got the valves adjusted.

K&N or similiar open element air filter.. I got one for 20$ off ebay

Get an intercooler.

The A/C probably doesn't work on a car that old anyway so you might as well take it off.

I think replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one should free up some horsepower.

That should be a good start

becouse i think its cool to see a rear car that nobody has smash on some fart can civic that evrybody drives, And around hear where i live if you own a honda of any kind you might as well just leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition that way when somebody steals it you wont have to replace the locks becouse its almost geranted to be stolen.

plus i hate front weil drive cars their not near as fun.

i have a bov would that make any difference to adding more psi?

Well - at least you have the right motivation... :)

BOV's have nothing to do with PSI - they just help turbo response when you're on and off the throttle. (Keep reading and researching - seriously) In this car's case - keeping it sleeper is half the fun, so if you want to fit something - fit a bypass valve that vents back into the intake just in front of the turbo. Less noise - but better for performance.

All that stuff has to be done after stage 0. I know you're likely itching to make this car a beast, but if you don't listen to us, and you just go for broke you'll just end up perpetuating the stupid stereotype that the car is a POS. Instead of making a statement - you and your car will be a laughing stock if it blows up.

I've run my cars much to my friends disgust (I used to get teased a lot for liking these cars), but a few slaloms where the car was crazy fast and posted times rivaling some pretty fast cars and both myself and the car earned some decent respect. Had it blown up or something at an event - I'd never live it down.

Rabin