505 Turbo Racing at Thunderhill

SSB

The car looks a lot better in pictures than it does in reality. For some reason the faded red paint which consists of at least three different shades looks good in flash pictures. If you go to the photos page link (here) and look at the outside shots you can see how faded it is. Also the car was in a tremendous rear-end collision at one point, there is 4" long tear in the sheet metal on the passenger side where the C pillar attaches to the trunk and another one of similar size on the driver's side in the wheel well. If you grab the the rear bumper you can actually wiggle the trunk up and down! Also the hit was so hard it buckled the floorpan in the cockpit and twisted the driver's seat mount like a pretzel. Thankfully the rules require us to replace the seat mounting and the cage will stiffen the bent chassis but trust me body-wise at least it was a candidate for the wrecking yard!

Thankfully the engine is in good shape and we also have a parts car with a 100% straight body but a blown-up engine (go back to May and look at the black car we first found) so the post-race plan is either to swap the running gear from the race car into the other body or sell both to someone as a do-it-yourself Peugeot kit :).

So hopefully none of you will hold it against me too much for using a Peugeot for a race car!

The race hasn't happened yet, we're preparing the car for the Thunderhill LeMons race on December 27-28, 2008. Keep checking our web page for details on the build and Jalopnik.com's LeMons page for all LeMons-related happening

BTW if anyone wants to help we're allowed to increase our budget by the amount we can get for parts we sell off the car. We've sold the wheels and a few other parts but still have plenty of items (like a complete grey leather interior in decent shape, the window motors, sunroof parts, etc.) that we'd like to sell. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll see if we have it or not!

BTW if anyone wants to help we're allowed to increase our budget by the amount we can get for parts we sell off the car. We've sold the wheels and a few other parts but still have plenty of items (like a complete grey leather interior in decent shape, the window motors, sunroof parts, etc.) that we'd like to sell. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll see if we have it or not!

Didn't I see one picture that came off CL Seattle (Renton to be exact)? You're near me.

Ya, I'll take some this-and-that parts from you. PM me.

No probs with the racing. You're doing the right thing in having one last go with it. It was a wrecker car as you say.

maybe I'm being to harsh, but ones like these just don't come around everyday.

happy to hear there will be another peugeot at least RACING in america, still sadness me that so many other people (possible @ the race) will thrash it .

I would Love to some parts off you!

please pm me, or give me your telephone number or email.

Alan, here's what I'm looking for:

-Front Air Dam (Spoiler under front bumper)

-All the headlight mounting parts (adjusters, springs, mounts, bolts, etc...)

-Rear spoiler

-Side Mirrors (if manual)

-Electric Radio Antenna (if working)

Please name your prices, hoping they'd be affordable.

Again, email me or pm me through this site.

Thanks,

Rob

maybe I'm being to harsh, but ones like these just don't come around everyday.

happy to hear there will be another peugeot at least RACING in america, still sadness me that so many other people (possible @ the race) will thrash it .

The only way to do at an endurance race is to drive fast and clean. If we end up bending the car IMHO we've done a bad job. Don't get the idea we're a bunch of good-old-boys who are out to bang fenders, we're a bunch of serious racers (well mostly serious, the aim of LeMons after all is to have fun) and we have a plan not only to finish the race in one piece but to come in first! When you see the completed car you'll also notice that rather than some funny theme like so many of the entrants it will look as close as possible to Victor's SSB-winning car right down to the "Peugeot-Talbot Sport" stickers.

Interestingly we've already had not one but two offers from people that want the car for rally racing once the LeMons race is over! We're not really sure what we will do with the car if it survives in one piece, but I suspect one way or the other it will be racing for as long as possible!

Glad to hear that.

Hopefully one day it'd be racing in bigger and better races.

I've got your back, and I'll be rooting for you!

Thunderhill?

So I expect you're comin down south to California?

I live very close to San Francisco, so maybe I can make it out to see it!

Depends on school and crew reggata schedule.

Hope you don't mind, but I posted the pics on Flickr to gain some more atttention/support from all around.

If you don't want it , I can remove the immediately.

so alan, since the race is 24 hours, endurance is more important then raw speed eh? how are you planning to make it "reliable"?

The race is actually about 15 hours since we won't be racing at night but the same issues apply. We plan to make the car more reliable by making sure all the performance-related parts are in top shape (well at least as good as we can make them given our limited budget), by removing anything we don't need like a/c, changing all the fluids and lastly testing, testing, testing. The Peugeot is a pretty reliable car to begin with so as long as we make sure there are no vacuum leaks or funky electrics before the race and then we drive to preserve the car we should do very well by the end of the race.