Brownie's cars

brownie

Some of you will know me and my cars already, but Norcal suggested to put pictures on the forum of all my cars. So here they are!

I have had quite a lot of cars, all Peugeots. Most of them I had only a short time. I'm a bit a 505 saver. Buying them from people who want to get rid of their old car and selling them to 505-lover, often to restore them.

Lets start with the cars I still have:

This is the 204 1.1 4-speed from 1976, running on Liquified Petrol Gas.

goudenregen015.jpg

These are my 83 Turbo(N9T) 5-speed and the 87 GTDT(XD3TE) automatic:

R0011177.jpg

R0011178.jpg

While the GTDT is the most luxuriours diesel, I have the most basic diesel too, an 82 Break, 4-speed with the XD2 engine. No electric windows, no central locking, no sunroof, na power steering, no clock in the dashboard, no second mileometer (0-999,9 counter). But very spacious!

IMG_0647.jpg

Recently I sold some 505, like my 86 GTI, the 84 GLD and the GR Dangel:

duo505008.jpg

65eb1_001.jpg

Earlier I had a 82 SRDT, and an righthand driver GTDT(together with the GTI). CHeck the windscreenwipers, they are in the wrong direction too!

505srdtzwart.jpg

505divers007.jpg

I also drove a year this 82 604 SRDT, still regret selling it, what a nice car:

vakantie2007014.jpg

A short time I had this 82 GRD Familiale, but it was technically in bad shape, I sold it to Africa.

IMG_0581.jpg

I also had 2 305 SRD Breaks, from 80 and 82:

505305.jpg

And finally, my first car, a 306 from 93. Although it was my first car, it's the newest I ever had, lol.

IMG_0643.jpg

• 2 years later...

Totally true Norcal505, especially becuase it is a one of a kind. Time for an update though, I recently bought it back!

So here my current collection:

My current daily drive, a "new" 604 SRDT:

09062011342.jpg

Still got the 505 GTDTurbo from the above post, it's now resting for later use.

Also the GLD Break is still present for large loads but I'm willing to sell it,

because I've got the Dangel back: 7 seats or huge cargo room and 4 wheel drive.

It's got everything that I might need!

Amazing collection! Perhaps you can clear up some pre-conceived notions... I always think Europe is crowded with tiny streets (think Rome) and city cars buzzing all over the place. I take it you don't live in such a place to have all those nice cars?

All those cars are great! Love the 204. More pictures of the 604. Were you the guy who did the write up on your trip with the 604 to France?

You definitely need a 404 to go along with those.

OK, some more pictures here, I even forgot two cars!

My current cars:

The GLD Break:

test018.jpg

My current 505 GTD on the main square in Amsterdam:

divers048.jpg

The RHD Dangel:

0007707605.jpg

The 604 SRDT was used as weddingcar for my sister and starred in a film about a seventies dutch prime-minister:

div034.jpg

set024.jpg

set043.jpg

Furthermore a have had a 604 V6TI automatic. Great car, well powered for a 70's luxury car (about 150 HP DIN I think), but quite thirsty. With fuel prizes in Holland doing about US$10 per gallon and me doing 40.000 miles a year, I wisely choose to buy a turbodiesel again (Half the fuel consumption and far lower prices for diesel here). Nice colour though, I think:

18022009137.jpg

Maybe the nicest car from the last years I had, was a 505 V6 manual. I bought it to do a rally across Europa (2500 miles) with it, visiting 9 countries. It's called "the garbage run" and is organized as a response on the classic car rallys for rich people with their well restored Jaguars and Porches. In this rally we show that it's possible to complete a long rally with cars that are worth less then 1000 dollar.

It had over 200.000 miles, but engine and transmission were like new. Incredible how easily it climbed the Alps in Austria and Switzerland. Paintjob is done by my brother who joined me on the trip. Last july it went again on this rally, but now driven by a friend of me. Both times it completed the trip without problems. The starter engine was moody however, the car needed a push now and then.

P7170801.jpg

garbage063.jpg

garbage068.jpg

garbage018.jpg

Anybody knows the brand of the car on the right on the last photo?

I assume they were never sold in the US.

@N9TE : It quite narrow in the old centres of the big cities. They were designed 1000 years ago or more. They were fine for the traffic of those days (horses and oxes mainly), but there have been some changes since.... Newer areas are much roomier, although in low density urban areas they tend to make roads small again with trees and other obstacles to keep the speed low for playing children.

I might have make a topic about my 604 drive to France, that will have been with the light blue one. I have made some nice pictures that holiday. But my new 604 has been in France also 3 times already!

A 404? Maybe, but it has to be a convertible then.

You know, it's a dream of mine to own a driveway full of 505's someday after college, when I have a decent job with a place of my own.

Brownie, how close do you live to the Deutsche grenze? (border). I'll be visiting my family, which is mostly in Dusseldorf & Munchen.

Would love to meet up with some more 505 peeps. ;)

You know, it's a dream of mine to own a driveway full of 505's someday after college, when I have a decent job with a place of my own.

Brownie, how close do you live to the Deutsche grenze? (border). I'll be visiting my family, which is mostly in Dusseldorf & Munchen.

Would love to meet up with some more 505 peeps. ;)

We should really make an appointment then. Munchen is quite far to the south, but Dusseldorf is quite close, less than 100 miles from my house, around 1 hour by car (Highways are without speed limit in Germany). I'd love to show you some dutch countryside and of course some dutch Peugeots, maybe meet some other Peugeot enthousiasts too. We can make a tour in the Dangel. When are you coming to europe?

garbage018.jpg

Anybody knows the brand of the car on the right on the last photo?

I assume they were never sold in the US.

Lada Signet is what they were called in Canada...

Was I right? Did I win the Dangel? :)

Fantastic collection Brownie, and glad to hear you were able to buy the Dangel back. Having a Dangel break is a dream of mine, but the likely hood is slim. I keep thinking I can have a fake one if I lift my 86' TD wagon and install bigger tires, but it wouldn't be the same. Instead I'll go for a modded 505 turbo wagon look.

Rabin

@Norcal: Keep in touch with me when you're going to europe, I will make sure we can do a day of Peugeot sightseeing than.

@Bean: Yep, you're right. So they have been sold in Canada? I thought this Cold war communist car hasn't been exported to america. Nowadays the Lada's are modern like other european cars, are they still for sale in Canada? (Sorry, no prices in this quiz. ;) )

@Ikenna: Nice to hear, the V6 is also your favorit. Do you own one in Nigeria? I thought it was mainly 505 with diesel engines in that part of Africa.

off topic: So you're from Abuja? Wasn't it in the news recently? Some buildings were blown up or collapsed or something?

By the way, I found some action pictures online from a previous owner of my Dangel:

dangel_en_55.jpg

dangel_en_50.jpg

@Norcal: Keep in touch with me when you're going to europe, I will make sure we can do a day of Peugeot sightseeing than.

@Bean: Yep, you're right. So they have been sold in Canada? I thought this Cold war communist car hasn't been exported to america. Nowadays the Lada's are modern like other european cars, are they still for sale in Canada? (Sorry, no prices in this quiz. ;) )

@Ikenna: Nice to hear, the V6 is also your favorit. Do you own one in Nigeria? I thought it was mainly 505 with diesel engines in that part of Africa.

off topic: So you're from Abuja? Wasn't it in the news recently? Some buildings were blown up or collapsed or something?

Brownie,

Not only that am from Abuja, Nigeria, but I experienced the Bomb explosion (though from afar) this morning. It was a suicide bombing at a UN Building( United Nations Building) close to where i live. it happened around 10am this morning (its 4pm now here). There was UN conference going on in the building when the Bomb exploded. The suicide bomber planted the Bomb in a Toyota Camry & drove in with force, pulling down the entrance gate & detonated the Bomb when in the compound, both himself, the car & other 16 persons so far have been confirmed dead. I heard the explosion, which vibrated our office building when it happened & we saw the smoke from the UN building from our office. I wouldnt know how our street would be like right now since i had left home to work when it happened. the UN building is close to where I live, like i said before, like 4 mins drive.. No body has claim to be responsible for that, but we all believe it would be a Muslim sect called BOKO HARAM, that has been bombing the Nation since last year. Their anger or reason for the terrorism is that they reject Western Education & way of life or anytthing that has to do with western life in the northern part of the country, dominated by Muslims, where Abuja, countrys Federal Capital Territory, where I work & live. Thats what we have experienced this morning. It was terrible!

On the other hand, yes I have Peugeot 505 V6 5sp manual (convert). though mine has been having some electric issues due to poor wiring job in the conversion, but the car drives nice & handles like something I dont know how to describe. 505 V6 was never produced in Nigerian Peugeot plant, but were imported & sold to few that wanted them. off all the car I have driven, off all the Peugeot car I have driven & handled, none handled the way & performed the way 505 V6 5sp manual does. PRV V6 engine in the car a very outstanding best road handling 505 ever driven. 504 would have been close to its performance, but it lacks PRV.

505 Diesel was never produced in Nigeria. very few used imported were sold.

ikenna.

That's must have been scary indeed, that close to home! I heard a brief message on the dutch radio this morning. Will probably be on television this evening.

So that really a unique 505 in Nigeria, the V6. I just found your topic explaining the problems. I know that most of 505 in europe are shipped to Dakar and they prefer diesels there, but that is probably for the small countries to the west (senegal, ghana, benin etc.)

Again off topic: for a few years I am dreaming to drive to South Africa by 505 via the westroute. Because I have a Dangel now, I think this is the time to really plan this epic voyage. There will be quite some hurdles, not all roads in Africa are paved off course, I have especially doubts of the road quality in Gabon and Congo. More important, I am a bit afraid of safety issues. Do you know some regions/countries which I surely have to skip if I don't want to be robbed/killed? I am white and am probably travelling alone in a 4X4 Peugeot 505 in good condition. That might make me an ideal target in the middel of nowhere maybe? If I am going to do it, it will be probably in 2013 or late 2012. Have to check for the rain season in the tropic area. I really don't want to see the roads during that time. I will surely visit you then, Nigeria is a country which I have to cross for sure.

That's must have been scary indeed, that close to home! I heard a brief message on the dutch radio this morning. Will probably be on television this evening.

So that really a unique 505 in Nigeria, the V6. I just found your topic explaining the problems. I know that most of 505 in europe are shipped to Dakar and they prefer diesels there, but that is probably for the small countries to the west (senegal, ghana, benin etc.)

Again off topic: for a few years I am dreaming to drive to South Africa by 505 via the westroute. Because I have a Dangel now, I think this is the time to really plan this epic voyage. There will be quite some hurdles, not all roads in Africa are paved off course, I have especially doubts of the road quality in Gabon and Congo. More important, I am a bit afraid of safety issues. Do you know some regions/countries which I surely have to skip if I don't want to be robbed/killed? I am white and am probably travelling alone in a 4X4 Peugeot 505 in good condition. That might make me an ideal target in the middel of nowhere maybe? If I am going to do it, it will be probably in 2013 or late 2012. Have to check for the rain season in the tropic area. I really don't want to see the roads during that time. I will surely visit you then, Nigeria is a country which I have to cross for sure.

I wouldnt know how safe other African countries are, since I have never travelled out of the country. But in Nigeria, Abuja is one of the the free robbery & kidnapping state in the country, being the Federal capital territory. So many whites live & work in Abuja. The only problem now Abuja faces is the Bombs issues. Todays own makes it 3rd time in History, which started last year. The unsafest part of Nigeria is Niger Delta. Kidnapping & robberies are the profession. They dont spare even the rich blacks.

If you must drive on Nigerian hiways, please, let it be daytime!. Night journeys on our hiways in Nigeria is very dangerous. There is always a possiblity of meeting armed robbers on the hiways at nights. There is so much corruption here in our government & the unemployed have turned into kidnapping & robbery to make ends meet, which is never & can never be an excuse. Please, never night on Nigeria Hiways. But in the cities, night life is so fulfiling. Here in Abuja, we stay out & drive even at 2am, & there wont be any incident. I can vouch for that. You can even confirm from anyone you know that lives in Abuja city/metropolitan, where I live as well.

If you finally decide to make the trip & cross Nigeria, I would be very happy to see you, a fellow 505 enthusiast, before you continue on your journey.

Ikenna

By the way, I found some action pictures online from a previous owner of my Dangel:

http://persodangel.free.fr/index.php?A=30&D=repphotos/dgl_anglais&I=12&T=Photo_repphotos_dgl_anglais_

http://persodangel.free.fr/index.php?A=30&D=repphotos/dgl_anglais&I=11&T=Photo_repphotos_dgl_anglais_dangel_en_55.jpg

No new Lada's in Canada - looks like they pulled out in 98, and the last models must have been the Signet or based on it. Wiki says the cheap Korean cars (Hyundai and Kia) killed them off in Canada.

I love the picture of the Dangel in the mud! That's some serious capability if it was able to drive through it. BTW - what engine is in your Dangel? I'd guess a diesel to have enough torque to power through that muck in 4WD.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

@norcal: Sorry, no active facebooking by me. But we can communicate by this forum, email or telephone. The latter might be handy for making an actual appointment. I'm looking forward meeting you.

@Bean: Unfortunately it has only the 2.0l carburattor, I think it's the XN1. Still 100 HP, however a diesel would be better.

Time for update though. As I was planning the Break was sold quite quickly to an enthousiast, but I just could make a fotoshoot with both in front of my house. If fitted back the original roofrack pn the Dagel today (no photo yet) and handed over the Break to the new owners.

GLDBreak014.jpg

GLDBreak016.jpg

It took a while, but this afternoon I tested it on a circuit for motorcross and made some interior pictures too:

Not much different from another Familiale, only between the front seats the controls for the 4X4 transmission are inserted: high/low gear and difflock. The orange light indicates if the diff is locked.

Valkenswaard2011016.jpg

Valkenswaard2011014.jpg

Valkenswaard2011015.jpg

Valkenswaard2011013.jpg

I wisely skipped this part of the track:

Valkenswaard2011002.jpg

Valkenswaard2011007.jpg

great pictures, brownie, thanks for posting! it's interesting to see the transmission controls, all of the pics i've seen of the dangels have been of the outside...

how were the dangels originally sold? did one bring the car to them for conversion, or did they use new factory cars & sell them through dealers?

andré

• 1 month later...

how were the dangels originally sold? did one bring the car to them for conversion, or did they use new factory cars & sell them through dealers?

andré

Most Dangels were bought by govermental organisations directly, but everybody could order one at a Peugeot dealership. Dangel is however an independent factory which does also conversions for Fiat en Citroen.

Fantastic collection! I used to live not too far south from Eindhoven, a LONG time ago. My Dad had a 404 KF2 sedan, AFCENT plates AFC 84288.

Getting a 404 C is a good idea! There are a couple hundred of them there!

Thanks, that's a conincidence? Where did you live exactly?

There are some 404 cabrio's left here, but one in good condition goes easily above $10.000. I know somebody here in Eindhoven who is willing to trade his white 404 cabrio with my Dangel, but its bodywork and paint have seen better days... I'll stick to my Dangel for the moment. :)

You might have seen me on the dutch Peugeot forum, I saw that you're constantly working on updates on your list of 404 VIN numbers.

Time to present my new car: a 505 GRD Familiale from 1985 full options. Maybe not that rare in the US, but it has airconditioning, which is very rare in Europe. Also elecrtic eindows, power steering and central locking of course. It has also a CD player for 10 CD's which is not original I quess. ;) Only 100.000 miles, which is not a lot for this reliable non-turbo 2.5 diesel engine. Originally from Spain, so no rust, good paintwork, only a few small dents.

Dangel003.jpg

Dangel001.jpg

KGrHqQOKjoE6WIlI-wBOreN8BQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqYOKi4E6jKQR3CkBOre3HiBQ60_12.jpg

Dangel005.jpg

Dangel002.jpg