Jump to content

Mike T

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Mike T

  • Rank
    G. O. Canadien Le Club 404

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    British Columbia
  • Interests
    Road cycling
    fun with the family

Recent Profile Visitors

15,768 profile views
  1. The long block builder recommended break in oil for 20 minutes (that's what I put in today), stop engine + drain, change filter. Then 10 W 30 SF old school hot rod oil for 1000 miles de rodage or so and then onto Motul or something like that.
  2. 2 speed wiper motor installed - which does not leave a lot of room for draining new oil into the oil filler tube, hence the giraffe-style funnel. Another advantage is the screen in the oil filler tube on the engine is not overwhelmed by the rate of drainage from the funnel so it's a "fill and forget" situation. The accelerator cable on the fuel injected 404 has a brutally difficult-to-access fixing bolt. Nothing that about an hour of pain would not rectify, mind you.
  3. Today after work I got the last bits of the braking system installed. The Hydrovac booster is NOS but not rebuilt after being in the car with brake fluid for some time so it may not work properly. To be verified when the engine is started and I can do a test drive. I have a Le Club 404 contact in the USA with a newly (2 years ago) rebuilt Hydrovac and so if it is duff, he would do a standard exchange. The remaining tasks are to put all the fluids in (after the lower radiator hose and 75 degree thermostat arrive from Germany.....), verifying valve clearances (the long block builder did it b
  4. With a few spare minutes left in a busy day I installed the radiator and connect the thermo-switch for the fan....and of course, installed the engine fan too.
  5. I'll probably lay some of my aircraft anti-corrosion fluid (forgot the name) on them. Did that to the intake manifold.
  6. Today I had some time to test clean the spare set of injector lines with Muriatic Acid to see if it's get more residue out. Boy did it ever! So I pumped about 100 mL of Muriatic Acid through each line of the pipes that had been on the engine with a large syringe, pulsing it back and forth. After the acid flush, they were purged with water, then acid flushed again, and again, until the solution coming out was not orange (rust) anymore. The water purges were at high pressure and that dislodged more particulates and fuel sludge which you can see in the green tray. Following th
  7. This weekend all I did on the car was install the exhaust pipe. With a lift it's a short job but on the ground in a 1.5 car garage it's not. I had to lift the rear up enough to maneuver the rear section so I could actually mate it to the centre section. The clamps on the cylindrical resonator are NOS Peugeot 404 parts that were plated in cadmium in Victoria, as is the rear one on the hanger, but the u-bolt on that hanger is not the original type although it looks the same from below. Good enough! Some fine-tuning may be needed to avoid any noise during normal driving but for now it's good
  8. The new master cylinder is installed along with the glass fluid reservoir I found yesterday. The brake line that takes fluid from the Hydrovac booster to the wheels is now connected to its hose (the new one I got last week) and it's bolted to the firewall.
  9. I commissioned Douglas Peterson-Hui - of The Architects Garage - in Vancouver to make this digital image of my 404C in front of the old Pininfarina factory in Torino. Not too expensive at all. I
  10. I was thinking of muriatic acid too...dribbled carefully through. Will consider that.
  11. I have an excellent high quality brake flaring tool with multiple fittings, but these are not flares - they are large blobs of copper attached to the steel lines. I will see about more thorough cleanout and if that's not possible, look to have something made up.
  12. One of the hoses I hadn't managed to get a good replacement for up to today has finally been found - at Serie04. This is the one that connects the Hydrovac (brake booster) slave cylinder to the brake piping. An exact match, Made in France.
  13. One more little detail - you may recall that I had 8 injector lines replated in copper and that they required manual pigging out due to old fuel and rust (!) inside from either long term storage (for the old spare set) or disuse and Ethanol-containing fuel (the original set from the car). Before tentatively mounting the ones on the engine that you see in the photo two posts back, I sprayed WD40 and MolySlip Combat through them again and a few more bits of particulate came out. Flushed them again but I am not confident that there is not still some in there, and the last thing I'd want t
  14. Monday at about 5 PM I put the 400W alternator on. 404 Injection cars, the alternators are buried down low on the exhaust side, so the well used appearance of this one won't be visually jarring when looking at the engine from above... Eventually a more powerful new or rebuilt alternator will be installed in its place, to power the heated seats (which right now are not connected).
  15. Today the manifolds and injection stuff was installed, along with the factory cold air intake. Actually this car originally came with a huge oil bath air filter but it used to drip oil all over the engine despite multiple attempts to seal it and so I traded it to a guy in France for this French market one.
  • Create New...